trim and tilt

twebb

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1986 90hp mercury. Motor will trim up fine but will not trim down. If i keep pressing the trim button it will catch and trim down at times. What should i check? Thanks

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: trim and tilt

I have a 1986 90hp mercury. Motor will trim up fine but will not trim down. If i keep pressing the trim button it will catch and trim down at times. What should i check? Thanks

Go over to your starter and look (opposite direction) back up the red wire connected to it.....it connects to your starting solenoid. Look for 2 more critters that look just like that mounted side by side....on the starboard side of the engine I think, aft of the oil tank; one is the up solenoid and the other the down. One is energized with a blue wire and the other a green wire. The unit uses a common motor so the only variables are these units and the controls to them which determine which way power is applied to the motor hence which way it turns. They click when energized so find the down one and energize it. Get your voltmeter and read the voltage on both sides of the big terminals. If you have full voltage on the input side and anything else on the output side you have your hands on your problem. Otherwise look to your controls, but if you have the engine mounted switch and throttle mounted switch, if it were a control problem one would work and the other wouldn't....but dirty solenoid contacts is what it sounds like to me.

Edit....woops, brainfart. Yours is a tower...I know the 115 was that year, but the same thing applies, just a different location for the solenoids and no engine mounted switch like is on the later model 90 hp triples of which I have one.

Mark