2008 Mercury optimax problem HELP!!

merdel12

Recruit
hi guys

i just came back in from boating today with a problem with my 2008 optimax 115hp engine

was running fine all day doing over 30 knots when we stopped and started drifting for squid (with motor off)

turned it on and noticed it was making some wierd rattle/vibration noise......as i powered it up to flat out i couldnt get much power and noticed we could only get up to about 7 knots

the motor then stalled while in idle or while going very slow and stalled again when coming into the jetty

whats wrong with the motor
once we got to dry land and got boat out onto trailer i put the motor into gear (while it was off) and span the prop, hearing a sort of rattle when spinning it

once i got it home i turn it on to flush it out...ran for about 10 seconds sounding like it was struggeling then cut out

Mayby a bearing gone inside prop? i duno what you guys think

help plz

raymor

Seaman
Re: 2008 Mercury optimax problem HELP!!

Sounds like your not in nutrial. Could you shift cable be slipping?

merdel12

Recruit

Sounds like your not in nutrial. Could you shift cable be slipping?

uh not sure, i know its not possible to start the motor unless it is in neutral so it must have been?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Pull the spark plugs and look for signs of water on lower plug......

merdel12

Recruit

Pull the spark plugs and look for signs of water on lower plug......

ok thanks ill have a look

would that cause the clicking noise when i spin the prop by hand when its in gear though?

merdel12

Recruit

hi, for anyone who has the same problem as i did in the future the problem was that the motor blew a coil

1 coil was channged and now the motor is running perfectly:D