Make my decision

Rumz

Cadet
I have a 1991 200hp 2.5L XR4 Magnum II with a rod through the block.
I bought a 1992 2.4L 200hp block that I can not find the serial number on on ebay for $600 with 120 compression across the board except 1 cyl. reading 105.

1. Should I pay someone $500 to do the powerhead swap as is and then have it rebuild over the winter?
2. Have the powerhead rebuilt by powerheadexchange.com or the equivalent for about $2200 and then pay to have it swapped?
3. Either of the above but do the powerhead swap myself?
4. Buy a rebuild kit and rebuild the powerhead myself and then swap it?

I have a fairly good working knowledge of motors, have owned some 2 stroke dirt bikes and such, a large inventory of tools and a good work-space. I have never worked with outboards except to pull the carbs of my 85hp Johnson and frankly taking everything off and cracking the block is a little intimidating.

Can I get a consensus on what the right call is?

Thanks,

Rumz

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Make my decision

I bought a 1992 2.4L 200hp block that I can not find the serial number
First off they did not make a 2.4 200hp in 1992 and if it has a steel bore its a XR4 or XR6.
120 compression across the board except 1 cyl. reading 105.
That is below 10% spec's , pull cylinder head and inspect as there is something wrong.
1. Should I pay someone $500 to do the powerhead swap as is and then have it rebuild over the winter?
No... as you may end up in the same shape..rod sticking thru block.
2. Have the powerhead rebuilt by powerheadexchange.com or the equivalent for about $2200 and then pay to have it swapped?
3. Either of the above but do the powerhead swap myself?
Nope and no.....
4. Buy a rebuild kit and rebuild the powerhead myself and then swap it?
Now your on the right track.... tear it down and get a list of what you need before you order anything...