Lower unit question

slyhatch

Seaman Apprentice
I have a mercury 1981 50hp 4 cylinder 2 cycle outboard.I pulled the lower unit because no water was coming out of the phole when I pulled the unit I notciced a tapered gromet had fallen out .the gromet has splines on the smallest end and appears to go on the end of the drive shaft at the top.It has 9 notches and matches the drive shaft it appears.Anybody know for sure if that is where it goes? Also I had a BRAIN FART and accidentally had the gear in reverse rather than forard when I pulled the lower unit,what can I say I'm getting old,anybody that can help will be greatly appreciated....Thanks
SLY

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Lower unit question

Sly;

In this link, see items 31/32 and 33. Item 31 is the slinger which rests on top of the waterpump (surrounding the driveshaft) and above that are items 32/33, the items you are questioning.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/275_170.cfm

As far as pulling the gearcase off in Reverse, that will be no problem When you go to re-install it, set the boat in Neutral and the LU in Neutral as yours is a later engine, (some people prefer to use Fwd but I am just telling you what the book says). As the LU will presently be in Reverse, Take a pair of pliers and protecting the shift shaft with a rag and rotate the shaft just a tiny bit CW until you feel the detent which should be Neutral. You can ensure this is Neutral by using finger pressure only to rotate the prop. The gears are as follows:

Forward: The prop will turn (ratchet) CW but will not turn CCW
Neutral: The prop will turn freely in either direction
Reverse: The prop will not turn in either direction except for the amount of the gear mesh.

Do you have your engine s/n and do you have a service manual?

Gerry

slyhatch

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you Gerry...... I do have a manual and the s/n is 5843757 Darn I may have dropped part 32.

slyhatch

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you very much Gerry.....I'll get it going.
Sly