1989 Mercury 100hp 4 cylinder, rough running, no power, won't get over 3500 rpm

Str8g

Cadet
Hello, I am hoping may get some direction on helping trouble shoot a 1989 Mercury 100hp 4 cylinder Motor. We purchased it used and the motors powerhead had been rebuilt and the motor started upon installation on the boat but never ran correctly. We couldn't get the boat on plane and initially wouldn't turn above 2200 rpms. this is a list what has been done to the boat since then.

Fuel side

New reeds
Replace the fuel lines
Rebuilt Fuel punp
Went through and rebuilt carbs
Installed new needle seats in carbs
Made sure the floats were set correct.
oil injection and syncing of carbs done correctly.

Electronics side

Timing was set to Service manual specs using dial indicator to set top dead center to timing cover. idle timing is currently 2 degrees BTDC.
Max timing (set at 23 degrees BTDC while cranking.) set at 3000 rpm should give us 25 BTDC running
New trigger as of last week
New CDI Stator as of a couple days ago.

Originally before the replacement of the new trigger and the new CDI stator (CDI Part # 174-9710K1) the engine came with the Mercury Red stator that was a two wire with what looked like a black electronics box with ground to the block and the blue and blue/white wires (no red and red white) to the switch box. (The original stator Mercury part number is 9710A11). The red stator must have been put on the motor at some point before we purchased the motor used. Upon doing a DVA test to the coils at running idle the two cylinders (one and two) were firing and had tested within range idling but cylinders 3 and 4 had no spark or voltage reading. The stator?s DVA readings at idle were also testing in range. Not having the ability to swap the red wires with the blues to troubleshoot if the problem would move. We just decided to invest in a new four wire CDI stator (CDI Part # 174-9710K1)and a new oe Mercury trigger. We installed just the CDI stator to see if we would have a change when we recieved the parts, upon installing and testing the new stator and leaving the orignal trigger in, we had spark to all 4 cylinders and the DVA test revealed that at idle the voltage was within range. Note: I questioned why the switchbox before was only sending voltage to just the 2 cylinders??? was it supposed to send it to all 4?? anyway we don't have alot invested in the motor so replacing the stator and trigger were the most logical choices in the troubleshooting.

After the new parts, we put the boat in the water and had change. The boat would get up to 3500 rpm and no more. the motor sounds rough getting there no power out of the hole but an improvement from before. we took the boat out and checked the plugs. Every time ,even before the change, we have tested the plugs one through 4 have come back to look wet and carbon fouled. We are pretty sure we don't have a problem on the fuel side but I am to the point of not counting anything out. We have done the squeeze bulb test each time out to see if it were a fuel starvation issue with no change, it is still almost as though its not igniting the fuel as it should. The switch box and voltage/rectifier both have a 2009 date on them and were there with the motor when we puchased it used. ??? Any tips on a direction to go with the troubleshooting. thanks Glenn.

mercury_blues

Recruit
Re: 1989 Mercury 100hp 4 cylinder, rough running, no power, won't get over 3500 rpm

Did you remove the voltage regulator that the red stator was connected to? your CDI instructions would have mentioned that and to connect the stator directly to switch boxes as well check grounds to switch boxes. I would have verified trigger and then switch boxes before installing a stator.. either way you have most likely elimintated most components except grounds and switch boxes.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Mercury 100hp 4 cylinder, rough running, no power, won't get over 3500 rpm

I have had a switchbox cause a problem similar to yours and it had great spark but missed/bucked at the 3-4000rpm range..

Str8g

Cadet

Thanks the switchbox was the direction I was leaning towards next. I am going to disconnect the yellow wires from the stator and do a running test to see if there is a change. I was going to ask when you had the problem with the switchbox in the 3 to 4000 range where you getting a considerable amount of carbon/ wetness on the spark plugs? Just curious. I will look over the grounds agian but everthing looks in order. I have a couple of other test I am going to do involving the ignition switch, the recitifer and testing to see if there is any voltage coming back through the black/yellow kill switch wire to the switchbox. From what I am learning voltage backfeeding through that wire can take out a switchbox. The switch box looks to be new with a 2009 date on it but was on the motor when we picked it up. We didn't consider it for that reason from the beginning. I would be curious to know if there where any tests that can be done to just the swichbox with a multimeter to tell if it is bad. The mercury outbaord is a bit new to me I an more familiar with working on seadoos.

Str8g

Cadet

Hopefully just a final update, but we apparently may have just resolved the problem(s) with the motor. We purchased the motor from an individual who completley rebuilt the powerhead and never had it running right. One problem we knew it had was it didn't have spark on cylinders 3 and 4. which we found ended up being a bad switchbox, but had replace the stator and trigger along the way as well. but the discovery over the weekend could prove big. a couple weeks ago I just decided to order a set of jets for the carbs just to rule out a jetting problem. I received the jets and pulled the carbs again this weekend and removed the jet from carb 1, the jet size I removed was .076 (for a 115 merc) the correct size size for the 100hp mercury is .054. all the carbs had the .076 jet. What is bizarre is the carbs on the motor are stamped W - 11 for the 4 carbs showing they were for a 100 hp mercury but the 4 float bowls had the .076 jets installed. I reinstalled the carbs and the difference was noticable in the driveway but I hope it runs well when we get it in the water this week.

Korbs67

Seaman

What happened with changing the jets to a smaller diameter? I'm considering this for my motor.

Str8g

Cadet

Well first off I haven't had it in the water yet to open it up or anything because the motor hasn't been broken in yet from the rebuild and never ran right. If you have the service manual the motor in the fuel section it has some charts for changing the jet sizes based on alltitude. For a 100hp it mentions that the stock jet size is .054 and if above 5000 ft to install .050 jets and above 10000 .048 jets. I am below 5000 in Michigan so the correst size is .054. But the .076 that were installed in the motor before we got it would be allowing a 1/3 more fuel under accelerating and just flooding out the plugs to where we would be running really rough and have to come back to the trailer to try to figure out the problem again. I hope to try it in the water this weekend.

nerdmann_21

Recruit

I have the same issues with my motor. I am wondering if you would recommend replacing the stator, trigger and switchbox all at once? I have rebuilt everything else and can't seem to get the power it should make. I don't have a DVA. Anybody let me know any tips.