19801 80hp Mercury stalling when giving throttle (except when chokes in). Please Help

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just had the carbs redone. Had to take the flywheel off because there was a wire to the trigger plate that needed replacing. Motor ran fine with the muffs on but today I just took it out and it started and idled great, but when I went to throttle, it wouldnt go anywhere unless I held the choke in. As long as the choke was in I could go to full throttle.

I did read on another thread it could need "synch and link" but I have no clue what that means or how to do it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 19801 80hp Mercury stalling when giving throttle (except when chokes in). Please

After you pass 1500 RPM on the way to planing speed, does the choke still need to be on? If so, the carbs are not clean.

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 19801 80hp Mercury stalling when giving throttle (except when chokes in). Please

Once the boat gets up to speed I can let off the choke and it runs fine. Its just getting it up there.

I have attached a pic of the carbs from when I took them out. They are clean as they can get.

P6040993.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK, then it is likely that idle mixture is set too lean. Open once carb mixture screw 1.8 turn and see if things improve. Then try opening lower carb mixture 1/8 turn and try again. Eventually you should get good acceleration and reasonable idleing.

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That makes sense because when I first got the boat I put 32oz of oil for 6 gallon gas. I was new to boats so when they said 32:1 I thought it was 32oz for 1 tank gas...

I just refilled the tank up and about to take it out, Hopefully it works itself out. I know it was smoking like crazy yesterday.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

"32:1 I thought it was 32oz for 1 tank gas"

HAHAHA YES THATS AWESOME

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Webbie, That motor should run on a 50::1 mix. Use 16 oz oil for every 6 gal of gasoline. You have mixed up a batch of 24::1. If you have two 6 gal tanks, dump 1/2 of it into the other tank and fill up both with straight gas to achieve 50::1.

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I appreciate it, thats what I did. Its running good now except it is idling high, I have to change that. When I turn the idle down though it wont go full throttle, it keeps wanting to stall.

Is it only one screw that needs turned to get this right?

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have been turning the screw on the right. Does the screw on the left have a purpose and should I be adjusting that also?

carb-2.jpg

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

the screw on the right is your idle mixture. your gonna wanna Lightly seat that then back out 1 1/8" turn out as a base for all your carbs then adjust lean or rich. Follow the procedure in the "link and sync" under FAQ topic
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=459535

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Right, I have the manual. But my issue is, when I get the idle good, it will not accelerate without stalling. When idle is high, it accelerates fine, but the motor jumps like a mofo when it goes into gear because the rpm's are so high in idle.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The "Screw" on the left looks like an air jet. It should be snugged down. On those motors you need to adjust the mixture to acheive fast, smooth idle. Now set idle stop screw (on throttle) arm to slow motor to 850 or so. Adjust throttle cable to push carb closed. Now richen slightly until you get good acceleration.

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is what I have when the motor is in idle. The idle stop screw isnt even touching.

P6111012.jpg

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well after further investigation and reading other threads on the forum I decided to check the throttle cable. I noticed tape was around it. so I took it off and seen wires showing. Well when I do the throttle and then back to idle as it is, the screw does NOT touch, (as seen in vid) but if I hold the black part of the cable and go from throttle to idle, the idle screw touches.

So would I have to get a whole new throttle cable or can this one be fixed?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Normally the throttle cable can be adjusted using the barrel nut that is under the clamp. Turn the barrel nut CCW to make the cable end longer and push the throttle closed.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

order a new cable, read the part number on the cable (might be really faded or worn) but example is a part # CC17913 google search that number and shopping results for your cable will appear. buy same and everything should work fine. and if not, THEN you adjust your carbs and idle. but first thing is to fix that cable.

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the only numbers I found on it were 100408.

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, when I adjusted the idle screw, I noticed the stream of water was barely going at idle. And it was smoking pretty good. Is this normal?