1977 Glastron with 75HP Merc

stix818

Cadet
Hello everyone.. I'm new to the forum and I'm in need of your help.. I'm from a heavy boating back ground just not with Outboards so please bare with me.. A buddy of mine just picked up a 77 Glastron.. It's his first boat and I'm trying to help him out.. After getting some of the other issues out of the way I'm now in need of rebuilding the Carbs.. It looks fairly straight forward but if you guys have any tricks or what not to do's I would appreciate it.. We are having problems with keeping the motor running.. We can only start it with the choke on and with some throttle.. Once we moving the handle back to the nuetral position it wants to die. The seller said it ran great last year.. Come to find out he let the motor sit with fuel in it untreated so I'm thinking it's just like anything else that sits, it needs some attention.. Any help would appreciated!!! He does not have a manual and he's hoping we can make it to the river Saturday. Thanks,

Vince

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1977 Glastron with 75HP Merc

Ohh rule #1 get a manual!!

Most mercury motors are picky with the carbs and the timing. There are link and sync procedures read this one written by a real good mercury guru ;) http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=168855

stix818

Cadet
Re: 1977 Glastron with 75HP Merc

Just an update.. I pulled the carbs off and cleaned them real good and they seem to be running pretty damn good.. Had to adjust the throttle stop along with going one flat on the idle screw.. Boat didn't like to idle in the water.. Thing didn't miss a beat after those adjustments!!! Thanks for the info!!!