Smoking 1992 40hp 2-cyc Mercury

mthompson220

Cadet
I have a 1992 4cylinder 40hp 2-cyc outboard. We had it out yesterday trolling around for about an hour or so. Shortly after we slowed down to let the kids off at the shore, I noticed smoke coming from the upper exhaust port just under the cowl. I have good water pressure coming out of the pee hole, and I just rebuild the impeller and the carbs. So I?m pretty sure it has nothing to do with that.

Since the exhaust looks like its burning oil (bluish in color), my thought was that the auto oil mixing unit is using too much oil causing a dirty burn. Nevertheless, every time I stop, you can see evidence of a small amount oil or gas in the water. I never thought too much about it since I have seen that in several older 2-cyc outboards that I have used or borrowed in the past. But it does seem to be getting a bit worse everytime we go out. And I have had it out quite regular lately. (atleast once a week)

Oh yeah, it also seems to stumble a bit when it?s cold, but I think that is just an air/fuel thing, because it stops once it is up to temp. Other than that the motor seems to be running fine.

If it is the oil injector unit, how can I check it, and then how do I fix it. I know I could probably just pre mix the gas if that?s it, but I would rather fix the problem instead of going around it.

Any other ideas as to what it may be?

Thanks for your help?

Matt

crossroads123

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Smoking 1992 40hp 2-cyc Mercury

I have the exact same motor I have scraped the oil injection and gone to mixing my own fuel/oil at 50/1 ratio. This eliminates any chance of oil/under oil injection. Premixing also prevents the injection system from burning up my motor by failing to work.

mthompson220

Cadet
Re: Smoking 1992 40hp 2-cyc Mercury

So how would one go about bypassing the oil injector? It has a sensor installed on the tank, I assume to warn you if the oil level drops too low. Do you just disconnect the hose and plug it, and leave oil in the tank? Or is it more involved than that.

Any idea what might be caqusing the excess oil seen in the water at idle, or when I shut down?

Thanks.