Dumping Fuel 1985 35 hp Mercury...PLEASE HELP

Wen

Cadet
Agghh Boats.I have rebuilt the carb on the boats with the sierra kit,it took a while but i finally was able to hjave it idle on land.Had some fuel dumping issues that i thought were resolved.Took it out on the water and i was doing fine...then it started to bog down when on plane.I was able to pump the ball alitttle bit and that helped. The ball stayed hard,when i got home i took the cover off and tried to start it, that is when i could see fule just dumping out of the carb.I adjusted the idle screw and the feul went from pouring out to just a few drips.But when i tried to idle it it just sputtered and died.Fuel started coming out of the carb. I tried fiddling with the throttle cable and when i would rev it up slightly it was a little better.but the second i let go it would dump fuel. I have tried everything that i know....half tempted to buy a new carb.
Thank you
Wendell

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Dumping Fuel 1985 35 hp Mercury...PLEASE HELP

Did you set the carb float to the specified height? Did you install new inlet needles and seats? New floats?

Wen

Cadet

I used the new needle from the kit same float, just purchased another kit with a new float.
Also i was trying to find how to set the timing on it.I have a selco manual but it does not show.
Thanks
Wendell

Mi duckdown

Commander

You missed the part about setting float hieghts, as chris1956 posted.???

James R

Commander

Rule of thumb. The float should sit parallel to the carb body when the carb is inverted.

Wen

Cadet

No i did not set the float height. Sorry to sound stupid but do you pull on the spring? When i rebuilt the carb,i did not replace the float i am getting a new rebuild kit and a new float..I also replaced the fuel lines.Before i screwed it back together i made sure by blowing air in the new line that the needle moved and did not stick i also squeezed fuel thru the line and it flowed freely when i pushed the needle up the fuel stopped.Does setting the idle adjustment have any factor in the fuel flow? I also attempted to adjust the throttle linkage on the left side of the motor the one that has the stop screw.
Thank you for your help
Wendell

James R

Commander

Set the float height.