1984 mercury, Impeller repaired but still won't idle, video

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just replaced the entire water pump impeller kit and put new spark plugs in but it stll won't idle and will only start if I put it in neurtral and rev it up. I adjusted the carberator screw but that didn't help tried two different gas lines and tanks that wasn't the problem. I can get it to start if I push the neutral starter button in and rev it but as soon as I put it in idle it dies out. I took it out a few day ago and it will run at mid to top speed but I can't figure out why it dies out in idle.
This started when I was testing it as home a few weeks ago a put it to full trottle when the hose came off for a few seconds and after that it made a missing sound. Anyone know what I need to check next?

Can anyone tell me how to upload videos on this site?

[jpg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/gilles/th_013-4.jpg[/jpg]

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 mercury, Impeller repaired but still won't idle, video

Buy a service manual.
Never rev engine above 2000 rpm in neutral.
Start with compression test.
Spark test.
Choke operational?
Carbs cleaned, floats adjusted, mixture set, full link n sync - adjust idle speed.
Impeller has nothing to do with getting it to run properly, unless the impeller has failed and the engine is overheating.
Advancing the throttle to start is normal starting procedure for a cold engine.

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where do I find out how to adjust the floats and idle speed? I cant find it in the seloc manual. Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Section 1c of factory service manual OB4645.
pp 195-199 in Clymer manual.

Seloc, 3 vague sentences in the lower left hand corner of section 4, page 22

Seloc manuals are pretty much worthless IMO.

ppare05

Cadet

I had a very similar problem with my 85 35HP Merc. It was the carb. I pulled it out cleaned it and put it back in idles without cutting out now.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

cleaned and rebuilt my fuel pump and that solved it for me.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Check list is endless.You really need a Mercury Service Manual and this site will fill in the gaps.Other manuals generalise too much.

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I am going to attempt to clean the carb but I need to do some research first. couldn't find anything out of place with the fuel pump. I need to figure out how to adjust the carb. Where can I find a service manual for it, (S/N 6578665 or 1035524) or is there a download for it?
It will run fine above 2000 rpms but it won't start unless I put it in neutral and rev it, as soon as I put in idle it dies. Hopefully I can get this video posted. Thanks