1996 Mercury Tale tell issue.

CHUNKS1140

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1996 Mercury 25 that starts and runs like a champ. My question is this I have replaced the impeller last year and thrust washers and o-rings but for some reason motor is still a little slower than I would like to spray water. It usually takes a minute or so kinda spits a little water and once it gets warmed up so to speak motor is fine sprays a good stream of water. The impeller was put in correct with fins going in correct direction. Motor is not stopped up with dirt dobbers or anything like that. If anyone has any other suggestions as to how I can fix this problem please let me know. This is the second motor I have had but the other is a brand new 90 horse and it being new it better spray great water from the tale tell or pee hole. Maybe this is a issue just being a smaller horse motor or maybe I am a little to picky I just wanna see a nice stream of water when I start it.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1996 Mercury Tale tell issue.

thermostats stay closed to allow motor to warm up then they open and good stream. without it working in that manner your motor would idle cold and hate you for it. its all good. but incase you want to look into it more make sure bother thermostats are working properly by removing them and replacing and check poppet valve for clogs. but but sounds like they are working fine...

CHUNKS1140

Seaman Apprentice

Let me ask this then. I have never checked thermostat until the other day pulled thermo cover off and low and behold thermostat was not in there. I checked Mercury website and it was made with one there. I do have a thermo kit on order as we speak so what can I expect to see different with thermostat kit installed?

I can tell you what i was told in this case, I was suggested to remove lower tail section and back spray with the hose up the water pipe, that way you know there is not clogs, It only takes one little item to block that thing and be a pain in the butt, But that would be my suggestion remove the lower take the hose spray the hose into the water pipe and see if the water comes out that way, with it not having a Thermostat you should see a Steady flow of water if you don't check the for a clog.

CHUNKS1140

Seaman Apprentice

Good idea I am gonna go ahead and do that since lower unit is off now. I was also wondering by putting thermo kit it that maybe it will help some.

CHUNKS1140

Seaman Apprentice

Update replaced entire water pump kit with new everything. I made sure impeller turned in proper direction and ran for a very little bit and now zero water being sprayed from tell tale. If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

hl

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need to put stats back in. The motor was made to run with thermostats. If you have not already, try using weed eater line to push into the pee hole and check for clog. You should also put a water pressure gage to show if there is a good water flow circulating thru the motor

CHUNKS1140

Seaman Apprentice

You need to put stats back in. The motor was made to run with thermostats. If you have not already, try using weed eater line to push into the pee hole and check for clog. You should also put a water pressure gage to show if there is a good water flow circulating thru the motor

I agree and I went ahead and put new Thermostat kit in yesterday and used air compressor and blew up water tube and into thermo housing nothing came out but reinstalled lower unit and is spraying water just fine now so I don't know. How hard is it to put a water pressure gauge on a outboard.

hl

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree and I went ahead and put new Thermostat kit in yesterday and used air compressor and blew up water tube and into thermo housing nothing came out but reinstalled lower unit and is spraying water just fine now so I don't know. How hard is it to put a water pressure gauge on a outboard.

Try the search menu at the top of the forum. You can find just about anything using this site. There was a statement on Wednesday about psi gage

Last edited: