Question About Mercury choke

Steve6662

Recruit
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and a new boat owner. So i have a question that maybe you folks can help with.
I've purchased a 2000 Voyager pontoon that has a 2000 Mercury 50 elpt 4 stroke carburated. The engine starts very hard at cold startup. So i did a little digging to see if the key pushbutton choke was working. After finding out with a tester that the Yellow/Black wire was the choke wire. I traced the wire to the engine and verified it had voltage all the way back the the 8 pin socket. Then further traced the wire over to where i thought i would be attached to a solenoid that activated a switch. But to my surprise found the wire dead ended with a rubber plug in it. Looks to be a like new motor and the wire almost looks like it was plugged at the factory. Is this wire not attached to somewhere it should be? Or is there another way that the choke or enricher is activated? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Thanks, Steve

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Question About Mercury choke

From the 1manual ,com website the fuel enricher shoud have two black yellow wires hooked to it inorder for it to work at startup.
Oldman570

Steve6662

Recruit

Update,
After digging more into how this motor actually operates. I've found that the motor does not have an enrichener but instead an actually choke with solenoid. Its activated when the motor is cranked and gets its voltage through the starter solenoid. So that doesnt tell me why its still hard to start, but i'm content on finding out. I checked today with the local mercury dealer and they want $300 for carb rebuild kits. Would it be worth my effort to take the carbs apart and put the old stuff back in and just clean things up a bit?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Cleaning the carbs would be a good start, and shoud not hurt a thing. I would check on carb rebuild kits at several outlets before doing any work on the carbs as it is hard to belive that the carb kits would cost $300. It could be posiable if it included the labor to do them also.
JM .02
Oldman570