add to gas injector carb cleaner?

MercBlackMax1

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone! Heres the deal my 1985 mercury black max 200 hp wouldnt idle with out shutting off so i played with the idle screw and now it will idle at about 900 rpms and not shut off. (today i backed it back down to where it was and its ok )

I seem to be having several issues with this motor. First when im running around at low rpms the motor shakes like a bag of crap and it doesnt sound normal like its starving for fuel. another time after coming back to the river from the lake i lost power id give it gas and it just wouldnt go.

I went back to check my primer ball and it had deprimed(also) when i pump the ball it never gets hard its like i can keep pumping. should it get hard ( and do i need new one ? ) and by hard i mean soft but full of gas.

Another issue im having that i feel can be related to the fuel is when im doing about 35 40 mph the motor runs amazing but all of a sudden i loose power again for a couple of seconds and it will get back where i want it by its self i dunno if its the primer ball or the gas pump or both

so heres where the title of the post comes into play i bought a injector / carb cleaner made for cars and i was wondering weather im gonna hurt the motor if i put that into the gas? and if i can will that do anything for my problems.

i know this post might seem confusing but its the best i can do right now lol thanks again. Hopefully i can elaberate with the answers i get.

Matt

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: add to gas injector carb cleaner?

Matt, I do not think the injector cleaner will help your problem. I used some seafoam to clear up an idle quality issue on my 135HPV6, but it was much milder than you are seeing. First figure out why primer bulb does not get firm. Likely it needs replacing. Now try pumping the primer bulb to keep the carbs full of fuel. Does this help the motor run better? If so, rebuild fuel pump. When you adjusted the idle did you adjust the carb mixture screws (there are six of them), or the idle speed screw on the throttle arm?

MercBlackMax1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: add to gas injector carb cleaner?

Matt, I do not think the injector cleaner will help your problem. I used some seafoam to clear up an idle quality issue on my 135HPV6, but it was much milder than you are seeing. First figure out why primer bulb does not get firm. Likely it needs replacing. Now try pumping the primer bulb to keep the carbs full of fuel. Does this help the motor run better? If so, rebuild fuel pump. When you adjusted the idle did you adjust the carb mixture screws (there are six of them), or the idle speed screw on the throttle arm?

Hey thanks chris, i went ahead and added it anyways i figured it couldnt hurts. I made a little progress in fixing the problem. There was a mechanic where i keep my boat that day and i explained what was happening to him and he told me to take out the anti siphons off my gas tanks witch i did when i had them in my hand they seemed fine but i punched out the ball and spring anyways.I also changed the primer bulb and hose.

what i found when i undid the connection to the gas tank i had about 4 inches of bent and crack fuel hose to the point of seeing throught the tube. i must have been sucking in air on the left tank. i also cleaned the filter for the gas witch had alot of sandy red rocks in it.

Yesterday i went out and tested again. i got up on plane quick and did about 35 40 mph and again bogged down and right back up again (boat is undrivable like this) i give it gas and nothing happens.
so what i did was switch gas tanks and retested was able to keep boat going giving gas slowing down giving more gas and it had great responce!

today im gonna have a look at the rest of the gas lines coming from the other fuel tank. I think the problem might also be in the gas tank valve to switch tanks but im not sure.
To me it makes no sence the the boat runs great then just sucks then runs great then sucks again.

also i took apart the fuel pump and inspected everything the diaphram seems in good shape but one of the gaskets the one in contact with the diaphram had a tiny tear in it is this bad(im guessing yes).