mercontrol mystery component

56north

Cadet
Hi - I wonder if anyone can help. I was taking a 70's mercontrol unit apart this morning and when I gently prised the cam off the control leaver I heard something 'pop' and land on the floor. Its a small metal cylinder 8mm in dia' and 7mm long. I can't for the life of me work out where it fits. Can anyone help? - Many thanks

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: mercontrol mystery component

Yep, it's the neutral detent cylinder. Goes between the leaf spring and the cam. You'll see the detent in the outer rim of the cam...

56north

Cadet

Thanks, everyone, for your reply- very helpful. Stripped the whole unit and meticulously degreased it (original grease had turned sticky) Great bit of engineering! New cables and new grease should make it sweet. Is there anything I should be aware of when putting it all back together? Presumably the shift leaver needs to be in neutral position (now that I know how to 'set' neutral) and the 'warm up' lever needs to be in the down position before putting the two halves back together? I'm also wondering why there are splines in the centre of the opposite side of the shift lever? Is this simply so that the shift lever can be mounted either side? (haven't looked into this in much depth at all so that might be a really daft question)
Thanks in advance for any further advice.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Yes re the splines, for mounting either side. Nothing much else other than general wear and tear. What I have found on several of the units that I have worked on is that the retention pin for the warm up lever is either missing or worn to the point it will not engage the detent on the lever. If it is not working properly, you get many complaints of the warm up lever rising as the throttle is advanced. You will see the items as 13 thru 16 of the same link in post #2. It is worth checking now before completion. Before removing the welch plug you can test the spring tension by pressing in on the pin from the back side of the box.

Clear as mud eh!

Gerry

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

carholme, I had that problem on our 67 Glaspar. I fixed it with a piece of nylon string. Tied it tight enough that it held the warmup lever down, but loose enough to be able to get it off for cold starts. That one string lasted 5 years.

56north

Cadet

Thanks again for replies. Gerry your knowledge of these outboards and all related bits is invaluable! On my mercontrol unit I would never have noticed the retention pin but for you. It was so seized I thought it was just part of the cast, however having managed to knock it out I found both springs intact, gave it a good dose of grease and put it back. It now works like a dream with a satisfying click! I now have new cables and fuel line connector + four decent sparks. When work load gives me time I hope it'll fire up and I don't have any carb' problems. I've read, in another thread, (possibly your reply!) that there can be a problem of float needles sticking if float chamber has been left full for any great length of time! Though 2I'd love the excuse to strip the carbs I now just want to see it run with maybe just a gear box oil change between now and putting it on the boat.
One last question perhaps you'd be kind enough to answer for me. The gear change mechanism should run on a small track with a plastic guide attached to the cable linkage. On my engine this plastic guide is broken off from the linkage. I could make a new one (and will do in the long term) but it is obviously a nightmare to get to. Will it cause me gear change problems without it , or more to the point will it damage the linkage, by putting strain on the wrong points, without it. As ever, your advice is much appreciated
Richard

carholme

Rear Admiral

Richard;

I don't think it will hurt it in the short term. Give it a try and watch as someone shifts through the range to make sure there is no mechanical interference.

Good on you for getting the control box done up, hope everything else works out for you.

Gerry

56north

Cadet

Thanks again Gerry - definitely worth stripping the unit. It's gone from horrible sticky and stiff to completely smooth. Very satisfying. Can't get the engine going though but will post separate thread on that.

Richard

56north

Cadet

Richard;

I don't think it will hurt it in the short term. Give it a try and watch as someone shifts through the range to make sure there is no mechanical interference.

Good on you for getting the control box done up, hope everything else works out for you.

Gerry

Hi Gerry - I don't seem to have had much luck in replies on my other threads so I hope you won't mind me coming direct to you (probably bad for forum though!) I seem to have more questions everyday about this engine (some I've since realised are a bit stupid!)
There is a brass 'socket' on the front to the right of the fuel intake. Until going to connect the kill switch I had assumed it was for that purpose but my kill switch came with connector block on the end and seems to connect to a seperate cable (at least it seems to work/kill the spark)
Perhaps this seperate cable is a later addition because the original socket for the kill switch has been lost? I notice there is a brown wire leading to the back of the brass socket.
Any clues would be much appreciated. I feel I'm so close to getting this thing going and waiting for replies on the open forum is frustrating when they don't come.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Richard;

I apologize for not getting back to you but I was away all day yesterday and will be today. Waiting for arrival of first grandchild. I don't know if I asked you previously but could you provide the s/n for your engine?

Gerry

56north

Cadet

Dear Gerry
Thanks for yet another reply. I don't have the serial number to hand but you'd already kindly dated it as made in Belgium in 1973.
I have tried, briefly, to start the engine but no success. It has a spark on all four plugs and so I am assuming it is a fuel problem. I have removed the fuel pump and there is fuel getting as far as the filters on the carbs. When I have a moment, my next move was to remove the float chambers. I have read on another thread that if the float chambers are left full, the float needle 'seat' can become swollen and stick the float???
I have also heard that the thunderbolt ignition produces a spark 3/4 inch long! With this in mind perhaps I need new plugs?
Then there is the question of the kill switch.
It's a 1973 engine so maybe its just not in any hurry to go! (maybe it knows I'm pretending I know more than I really do about it!)It almost like its saying ''you have to get to know me before before you can run me" ......I'm 4 yrs its senior so I WILL have my way!
Thanks in advance for any further advice and I hope you're enjoying the arrival of your grandchild.
regards
Richard
Richard;

I apologize for not getting back to you but I was away all day yesterday and will be today. Waiting for arrival of first grandchild. I don't know if I asked you previously but could you provide the s/n for your engine?

Gerry