Mercury 2-stroke 25HP to 30HP upgrade - carb gasket - DONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixxgrand

Cadet
Hello all!

I am going to report the details of making the simple [carb gasket] change to my brand new 2-stroke 2011 Mercury [Tohatsu] 25HP which increased it to a 30HP outboard. I read about the restricted carb gasket and confirmed that was in my 25HP. I ordered the non-restricted gasket from the Tohatsu web site by the very part number provided in this forum. It was $11.45 shipped. It took less than ten minutes to remove the restrictor plate and install the wide open carb gasket into my engine. It fired up as normal and has performed incredibly ever since. NO timing changes required. NO jetting changes required. NO idle or wide open throttle linkage adjustments required. Trolls perfectly as before. Just more top end [+7mph - now 35MPH on a 16.5' Naden] and the jump out of the hole is extraordinary. It does burn more fuel. It does wind out more-so - thus I have a Tiny-Tach on order to ensure that the WOT RPM are not exceeding 5,800. If they are I might pitch up on with a new prop or simply adjust the limiter and bring the WOT RPM down to preserve engine life. BOTTOM LINE is that this is the most simple upgrade to increase real and usable horsepower I have ever experienced. Feel free to PM or email with any questions in regards. :)
Resize of IMG_2744.jpg
Resize of IMG_2761.jpg

JD in Milwaukee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercury 2-stroke 25HP to 30HP upgrade - carb gasket - DONE!

Don't you just love a simple, and very effective mod like this one. 7 mph on top is a huge increase.

Sixxgrand

Cadet

All right then....! I installed the Tiny Tach on my 25 now 30HP Merc/Tohatsu and it runs 5,870RPM at WOT which is right in spec. Engine is starting and operating perfectly since this simple and effective modification. One thing I have noticed is that this horse is thirsty at wide open throttle - but fun and responsive as ever. Have a safe summer everyone!

Reactions: RS1

bob91

Recruit

will it work on a 1998 2 stroke mercury

tmasloske

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 1998 Mariner 20 2 stroke and a 1999 Mercury 25 2 stroke. I think your 1998 25 is as much power as you can get out of that engine. But, now I'm wondering if I can hop up my 20 to a 25. Both engines have the same powerhead. Anyone know what parts are different on those?

1roddy

Cadet

I have a 1998 Mariner 20 2 stroke and a 1999 Mercury 25 2 stroke. I think your 1998 25 is as much power as you can get out of that engine. But, now I'm wondering if I can hop up my 20 to a 25. Both engines have the same powerhead. Anyone know what parts are different on those?
So how did this work out for you?

RS1

Recruit
I like to hear that you found a simple and cost effective way to make your motor run better. Is there any way you could help steer me in the right direction? I'm looking for the same results for my 2003 25 merc, but I am having trouble finding the right part number for the carb gasket. Thank you!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
This thread is 3 yrs old start your own to get better answers. I will answer this for you 2003 merc 25 is a mercury built motor you have as much power as you will ever get. The OP motor is a tohatsu built mercury not the same

Sixxgrand

Cadet
I believe that the last poster is correct. The model I have is Tohatsu built....not a bad thing at all....this engine still performs flawlessly....then again I didnt even burn 5 gallons this summer.....

jbcurt00

Staff member
Do you have the gasket order number for the 25 sea pro ?

Please take note of the helpful tips at the top of the foeum page and as suggested previously, this topic is 3yrs old, so start a topic about your 25hp SeaPro

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.