Mystery Bolt

Red-Rover

Cadet
I just bought a new Lund 1625 XL with a 2012 Mercury 60 HP, 4 stroke engine. After trailering the new rig home after my second time out, I found a loose bolt lying in the tray (not the correct name) just in front of the transom. The bolt is in fact a hex head capscrew, stainless steel, black painted head (Mercury Black), and the dimension of the thread is .230 inch dia. (5.75 MM) X .750 inch long (19 MM). The capscrew is not broken and the threads are in perfect condition.
Anybody out there have any ideas where this screw may have come from? Some Chinese assembler just having a little fun and putting an extra screw in to puzzle the American?
This capscrew was not in this tray when I took delivery. The boat is Red, not black and most fasteners are not stainless steel.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mystery Bolt

I just bought a new Lund 1625 XL with a 2012 Mercury 60 HP, 4 stroke engine. After trailering the new rig home after my second time out, I found a loose bolt lying in the tray (not the correct name) just in front of the transom. The bolt is in fact a hex head capscrew, stainless steel, black painted head (Mercury Black), and the dimension of the thread is .230 inch dia. (5.75 MM) X .750 inch long (19 MM). The capscrew is not broken and the threads are in perfect condition.
Anybody out there have any ideas where this screw may have come from? Some Chinese assembler just having a little fun and putting an extra screw in to puzzle the American?

This capscrew was not in this tray when I took delivery. The boat is Red, not black and most fasteners are not stainless steel.

Check the steering arm mount in front of the engine. There should be an extension that's bolted to the swivel pin arm. There's two there and they're supposed to have keepers on them.

Here's a pic from a 2011 60hp I have -

IMG_0047.jpg

Red-Rover

Cadet

Thanks for your thoughtful replies but both of the pictured capscrews are in place in my motor and also are a larger diameter than my "Mystery Bolt". Additionally I have looked under the hood, but none of the bolts/screws under there are painted.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Since you just bought a brand new boat and motor call the dealer. They rigged the motor and service the motor, so they should know.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

The 'painted' bolt head indicates it was installed and in place when the motor was painted.

There is an empty hole somewhere on that motor that needs that bolt installed and tightened to the correct torque to keep it there, without it you risk possible engine damage.

Return the boat to the dealer and be sure to get it in writing that you had this occurance to CYA in case of future problem.

Red-Rover

Cadet

You are right of course. I was trying to take a shortcut here on the Forum.
My dealer is 99 miles away and I was hoping to never need him again. Lund dealers are scarce here in my part of Indiana.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You don't have to take it to the original dealer.Lund is the boat manufacturer,not the motor.
Take it to any Mercury dealer.