82 mercury 150. Black max is not spitting water out of the pee hole at idle

twotone2t

Cadet
At idle it doesnt put water out of the pee hole and above idle its very weak. I just put a new impeller kit in it and its even weaker than the old one. Any suggestions?

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 82 mercury 150. Black max is not spitting water out of the pee hole at idle

Snake a piece of weed eater string up the hole while it's running, this has worked to dislodge crud many times.

twotone2t

Cadet

Ok i did the weed eater string and checked the thermostats. All is good. Still no flow at idle. Is there a possibility the water is escaping around the drive shaft? The rubber grommet doesnt look like it would make a good stopper

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If you disconnect the port hose( going to phole) on t-stat housing does it have water flow exiting it????

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

If any part of the old impeller was missing it could be pluging the water flow in the motor. I always blow air from a compressior thru the motor backwards of the normal water flow before replacing the LU back on the motor. This can be done at the phole on the motor. Just try to use enought pressure to not damage any parts of the motor. Usualy 20 to 30 PSI will do the trick. I also use never seize on the upper splines of the driveshaft to keep the corrision at bay any make removal easyer the next time I remove the LU.

Oldman570

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A lot of those Merc V6 motors have the telltale downstream of the thermostats. If the thermostats don't open or open just a bit, the telltale can be very weak. It is best to test under load, say fast idle in water. If it is weak them, you have an impeller or some other issue.

twotone2t

Cadet

The old impeller is all there. At high idle it works ok, i guess im used to a pretty healthy stream coming out of other outboards. My thing is when it idles no water is coming out of phole but water is coming out of the exhaust holes real good. Is this normal for this motor? Ill find out for sure this weekend. I guess if my temp buzzer goes off ill know. Thanks for the info

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok i did the weed eater string and checked the thermostats. All is good. Still no flow at idle. Is there a possibility the water is escaping around the drive shaft? The rubber grommet doesnt look like it would make a good stopper

The grommet on top of pump is for keeping out crud from entering into impeller cup.
Pump is working if water coming out of prop.
Did you temp test the Tstats.Should open around 145deg.

hl

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you disconnect the port hose( going to phole) on t-stat housing does it have water flow exiting it????

Have you checked the poppett valve?

twotone2t

Cadet

Thermostats r working properly
What and where is the poppett valve???

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Poppet valve allows addiitonal cooling at higher RPM. Is it spring loaded valve on lower starboard part of block. There are different styles on different years of Merc V6 motors.

hl

Petty Officer 1st Class

It does just as Chris stated. You will find it on the lower starboard side of the motor in a figure 8 shape. Their are 4 bolts holding it in place