2006 Mercury 150 Optimax Starting Issues..starter engaging and clicking

AA777

Recruit
First off I ran the boat yesterday with muffs on it, started fine 3 times with no issues. Went out to the lake today and had a buddy driving the boat. Backed it in, started fine, then he put it in reverse and it died. Other attempts to start failed after that (i was still in the truck). We put 2 new batteries in it today and replaced/checked all fuses. Upon further investigation the starter is engaging the flywheel and clicking.. not spinning the motor over and the bendix will not disengage from the fly wheel. Never had this issue before. I dont have a volt meter handy to check the voltage on the starter solenoid... but should this be the first thing I check, or does it sound like the starter is done. Thank you, Jason

Linker

Recruit
Re: 2006 Mercury 150 Optimax Starting Issues..starter engaging and clicking

First off I ran the boat yesterday with muffs on it, started fine 3 times with no issues. Went out to the lake today and had a buddy driving the boat. Backed it in, started fine, then he put it in reverse and it died. Other attempts to start failed after that (i was still in the truck). We put 2 new batteries in it today and replaced/checked all fuses. Upon further investigation the starter is engaging the flywheel and clicking.. not spinning the motor over and the bendix will not disengage from the fly wheel. Never had this issue before. I dont have a volt meter handy to check the voltage on the starter solenoid... but should this be the first thing I check, or does it sound like the starter is done. Thank you, Jason

Wondered if you had a chance to find out what was causing your problem. We have a 2009 Mercury Optimax 150 which was purchased brand new one year ago. We took the boat out yesterday with no problems and today we started it once with no problems. We turned the motor off and then it wouldn't restart. It has the same clicking noise with the starter and the same flywheel behavior as you described but the motor won't engage. Replaced the batteries without any difference. Wish we knew what the problem is. We're on vacation and now we can't fish or get the boat out of the water! Bummer!

AA777

Recruit

Well, I brought the boat home and put it back on the trickle charger with the new batts for about 4 days. Tested voltage at the batteries (12.9) then the solenoid (12.6). Tried to start it again and it fired right off. All I can think is that the new batts were not fully charged? I'm still at a loss but were taking it out again today, so we shall see. Good luck...

topwaterpop

Recruit

Well, I brought the boat home and put it back on the trickle charger with the new batts for about 4 days. Tested voltage at the batteries (12.9) then the solenoid (12.6). Tried to start it again and it fired right off. All I can think is that the new batts were not fully charged? I'm still at a loss but were taking it out again today, so we shall see. Good luck...

I had an issue like this when I first purchased my boat. Due to a bad starter switch that you turn to crank your boat. The starter stayed engaged and the starter finally burned up. Even though the boat cranks up check to see if the starter has disengaged. It left me on the lake with a dead engine.