1984 4cyl. 75 hp Mercury No Fire

debuc

Cadet
Replaced bad wiring from coils to switch box, replaced stator wires broke going into stator. Still no fire. Motor has been setting for about 2 or 3 years. Checked compression About 95 to 100 all 4 cyls. Any ideas? Can the switch box be tested?

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1984 4cyl. 75 hp Mercury No Fire

yep DVA google search CDI marine electronics they have a great trouble shooting guide for electronics, and google search DVA adapter for multimeter, or just buy an expensive DVA meter.

but the no fire thing, you need to do the basic spark check, using a spark tester (cheap) and see if fuel is getting to the carbs

BonairII

Commander

Have you cleaned/sanded all contact points? Only takes a little bit of corrosion to cause a bad connection.

mercuk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Double check all your wiring becasue it might be something simple like no ground going to CDI box or something. But tbh, 95-100 psi sounds pretty low for one of them engines... Mine is 145+ psi on each pot... I know I might get moaned at for saying that, but I personally think that is the bear minimum of what a Kiekhaefer block should be chucking out..... But then again it could just be your gauge.....