What solvent do you use?

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
What is safe to soak a carburetor in that won't damage plastic or rubber parts and will still get all of the gunk off ? The instructions I have seen say to remove all plastic and rubber parts but I have never cleaned a carb before and don't want to destroy an oring or seal that I might miss. I have looked at solvents on the net but wondered if there is a common one that you just buy from a store? Thanks

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What solvent do you use?

I use a can of Power Tune that can be bought at most marine Dealers. Cost about 14.00 and just follow directions on the can. Always use air to blow out jets and passageways while carb is off the motor.
Oldman570

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I use carb cleaner available at any auto parts store. Need to remove the plastic parts first. You will get all the O-rings and seals new in your carb kit.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No other way,strip it,soak it,and blow it out.Then replace all seals and gaskets.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Do not get concentrated aromatic hydrocarbons (toluene, xylene) on ANY of the plastic parts of your carb, nor soak the black plastic (ABS) parts of your carbs in anything containing alcohols. This covers basically any carb cleaner, brake cleaner, lacquer thinner, etc., anything that smells strongly "solvent-y" and evaporates quickly.

On the other hand, aliphatic hydrocarbons (odorless mineral spirits a.k.a. oil-based paint thinner, naphtha a.k.a. charcoal lighter fluid, even kerosene) will be virtually harmless to the all the plastic parts of a carb, though they may not clean as well. They also don't evaporate as quickly, which is good if you're soaking.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I have odorless mineral spirits in my parts cleaner tank and it wouldn't budge the varnish in my carb. Even let the pump run on/in it for a couple of hours, soaked 48 hours. Ajgraz is right about the carb cleaner. No plastic allowed.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

I couldn't find the power tune at the local dealers. I did find the Berrymans at Auto Zone. Got a gallon with the strainer inside. I tried soaking the part that the seal fits in from under the water pump and the soak didn't do much. I cleaned it with brake cleaner and a little scraping and wiped it dry and installed a new seal, that was a lot quicker. Sounds like the best way to clean the carb is to remove the rubber and plastic and spray it with carb cleaner and then blow the gunk out right? I will keep an eye out for that power tune. Thanks

merc850

Commander

Power Tune is available from a Merc dealer and as well as cleaning carbs it is also used to clean the combustion chambers of boat engines,cars etc.Will also clean off grease and oils from parts.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Super Tech Carb Cleaner at Wally World is about THE cheapest and yet one of the best carb cleaning solvents I have ever used.

Under 2 bucks a can, I use it for a LOT of things and buy it by the case.

Oh, do NOT get it on Craftsman screwdriver handles, they melt, but carb plastics are fine. Snap-On handles don't like it much either.

Drops wasps like a rock, spidys roll over and curl up too! Always have a can within reach in the garage and barn. Much cheaper than Raid.