over charging battery?

MercBlackMax1

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys I have a mercury black max 200 hp and its been twice now when im driving around i notice the bettery is charged to 18 volts on the v- gauge it varies alot it will come back down to 13 volts most of the time but i dont understand why its charging the battery to 18v im assuming this could be bad for the electrical.

Anyone ever hear of this^problem thanks matt.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: over charging battery?

Hey Matt, what year is your engine? I've had this happen to me before a couple of times, more than likely your voltage regulator/rectifier is going bad. If you are out running at speed and you see the voltage rising try turning your running lights on, the voltage will probably go down.

I'm not sure about on your particular engine but a lot of times it's not a fun job replacing a reg/rec. You're correct, if you run it like that for too long the increased voltage will start to harm your electronics, depth finder, gps, etc.., possibly start to take it's toll on the battery also.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You may have unregulated system(rectifier)only.My 88 V6 pegs at around 17.2V at WOT though comes down with lower revs.
Keep an eye on battery electrolyte/water levels at it could bubble away.Doesn't effect any of my electrics.

MercBlackMax1

Seaman Apprentice

You may have unregulated system(rectifier)only.My 88 V6 pegs at around 17.2V at WOT though comes down with lower revs.
Keep an eye on battery electrolyte/water levels at it could bubble away.Doesn't effect any of my electrics.

Im gonna have to check for a rectifier tommorow as well ,but your right. This seems to onlyhappen when im at Wot. But like the other guy said when i trim the boat the voltage drops back down.