1973 Mercury 850, controller issue

T-Boat1

Recruit
I am a newbie when it comes to boats, lawn mowers i can handle,lol. Heres my issue. After shifting my controller into reverse I could not get it back into neutral. After disconnecting my controller and shifting it back into neutral by hand, I tried again to shift from reverse back into neutral..the same thing happened, I cannot get the controller back to neutral. I now have the controller in neutral and back together, i am sure it is assembled correctly as I do have an old merc service manual. Both the shifter and throttle cables are aligned as the manual calls for, however, could this simply be a cable adjustment issue? if so how do i correctly tighten my shifter/throttle cables as i have quite a bit of play in the controller, almost all the way forward before throttle moves...Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 Mercury 850, controller issue

If I understand your issue, it sounds like there is a problem in the control. I assume it is a MerControl? MerControls do have some play. Consider the throttle handle as a clock hand. At 12:00 the motor is in neutral. At 9:30 the motor is in forward at idle. At 8:00 the motor is at full throttle in forward. Is that what you are seeing?

Getting stuck in reverse is not normal, BTW. MerControls do not have any adjustment.

T-Boat1

Recruit

If I understand your issue, it sounds like there is a problem in the control. I assume it is a MerControl? MerControls do have some play. Consider the throttle handle as a clock hand. At 12:00 the motor is in neutral. At 9:30 the motor is in forward at idle. At 8:00 the motor is at full throttle in forward. Is that what you are seeing?

Getting stuck in reverse is not normal, BTW. MerControls do not have any adjustment.

Yes, it is a mercontrol with electronic choke and a choke lever. I have it back in neutral the shifter engages forward at 9:00 then throttle doesnt engage until 8:00 as it should. Everything works great until i shift it into reverse...it will engage and throttle but i cannot get it back into neutral from reverse.

T-Boat1

Recruit

Yes, it is a mercontrol with electronic choke and a choke lever. I have it back in neutral the shifter engages forward at 9:00 then throttle doesnt engage until 8:00 as it should. Everything works great until i shift it into reverse...it will engage and throttle but i cannot get it back into neutral from reverse.

T-Boat1

Recruit

OK, now i have lube oil dripping from prop...is there a seal i need to replace or is this a normal old merc thing?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Depends what is dripping. If it stinks it is gear oil and an issue. If it smells like gas or regular oil, it is normal.

Sounds like you have a bad MerControl. Maybe you can see what is wrong if you open it up.

T-Boat1

Recruit

ok, the verdict is a worn out controller. Thank you Chris1956..BTW..the leakage is gas and oil..very little and not continuous. As long as i don't use reverse I'm good to go...for now.

Merc 73

Recruit

I have the same problem with my '73 Merc 650. I can get the shifter back to neutral, but the throttle speed doen't go up 'till about 9:00 0 clock position. The motor will bog in between 12:00 o' Clock and 9:00 o'clock. Did you replace the controls yet? Did that help? Thank you.