1997 135hp Mercury v6 offshore

Hi Newbie here.

I'm having a few problems with my outboard on start up . Last 2 weekends in a row when starting up cold engine its Very smokey fills the boat up with smoke smells like pure oil burning..If i lift the choke lever up a little and let idle for 2 to 3 mins smoke goes away and can use engine fine all day.

I have replaced the check valve where the oil and fuel line meet. Is there any other one I should replace also ?????

I have noticed also there are no Beeps when i turn the key onto the start position. How do I check this and what do I look for.

Any help much appreciated

Greg

Australia

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1997 135hp Mercury v6 offshore

Gday,
Fairly normal to blow a little extra smoke at cold start,provided its not white smoke(water intrusion).Check all plug ends for even brownish deposits.
Are you running pre mix or oil injected?If injected check its not too rich at idle.
When you say choke lever do you mean fast idle lever on throttle control.
My v6 blows a fair bit of blue smoke when cold but that only re assures me that oil injection is working fine.

bobkyle2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Same here... Blue smoke...Choked and cold.... I'd be more worried if it wasn't smoking.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Excessive smoke at startup is not normal for a new engine but yours is older and there are several things that could be leading up to it.

1. If the choke solenoid is not closing properly it will dump fuel into the intake when you squeeze the primer bulb.
2. The bleeders on the intake could be plugged and you're building excessive oil up in the crankcase.
3. Float needles in the carbs could be leaking and dumping excess fuel after squeezing the primer bulb.

Those three things are the most common reasons for startup smoke. The bleeder valve problem will usually be accompanied by a poor idle. The choke and the float needles may or may not. Once it warms up and becomes a more efficient engine it is able to burn the excess fuel/oil off and it will run reasonably clean. What people loose sight of when trouble shooting these problems is that two strokes are fuel hogs and can run quite well even when there in a near flooded state. If you know of anyone who has a set of EGT's you can find the problem pretty quick.

The engine is oil injected .... I have checked plugs and they are very wet with oil to me the engine is getting way to much oil and is using alot of oil from the 12l injection tank. The smoke is that bad I had 5 people come over and ask do I need a fire extinguisher and yes I was meaning the fast idle lever . After the smoke clears after about 2 minutes the engine performs perfect all day and has plenty of its usual power.

In previous post I said that when I turn the key there is no beep at all isnt this the oil injection buzzer saying its working ???

Cheers Greg

Ant-Knee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 98 V-6 150 offshore And it beeps when I turn the key to the on position as well. This is to let the captain know the beeper/ horn warning is working.,

I would check the horn/Beeper and see if it is good.. The beeper/Horn on my outboard are warnings for the oil injection and the cooling system.. If you hear a solid long beeeep there is something wrong in the cooling system and the motor is over heating, And if you hear beep beep beep beep this would be for the oil injection system..
I am not realy sure if this applies to your motor but I would think so...

Wait for others to chime in and see what they say..

Just trying to help..

Ant...:)

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mine has a variable meter linked to carb lever.and adjusts oil usage with acceleration.Check linkage and this meter can be adjusted.
Do a tank test,just mark oil level then add exact 1 ltr and mark new level.Then fill 50ltr tank and run till near empty.If level falls below bottom mark your using too much oil as it should be using between 50 and 100/1 ratio.
Do you have a merc service manual?From memory i think its the purple wire to check its connected for warning horn.Mine(purple wire) was disconnected to shut it up till i workout fault.
Another thing is to pull feeder hose from Enrichment valve to see if fuel escaping while engine running.

Thanks Ant and Aussieflash ..

My oil injection is linkage as well is from the oil pump to the carbys.... Just seems there is oil going into the carbs when engine is turned off making it smoke like it is. We have checked the fuel oil ratio and its fine. Its only that first start up when engine has been sitting longer then a week.

I dont have a manual as of yet

bobkyle2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You haven't changed oil or anything have you? I only use quicksilver in my oil injected engines. And my 2000 XR6 150...Smokes pretty noticeable when i first start it in the mornings, but no one has ever asked me if i needed a fire extinguisher :O

I have owned this boat and motor since new and sold it about 6 years ago and have just recently bought it back. I always use to use quicksilver . I have taken the boat out twice without putting any oil into to tank. Next time out I put in 4L of Valvoline as where I get my quicksilver oil from had run out and was waiting to get some in . Surley this wouldnt be the problem ??????

I have owned this boat and motor since new and sold it about 6 years ago and have just recently bought it back. I always use to use quicksilver . I have taken the boat out twice without putting any oil into to tank. Next time out I put in 4L of Valvoline as where I get my quicksilver oil from had run out and was waiting to get some in . Surley this wouldnt be the problem ??????

OH and in saying this the problem was not there the first to times was only when i filled it up hmmm

OH and in saying this the problem was not there the first to times was only when i filled it up hmmm

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Pull the oil pump because if you had a overpressured system due to faulty check valve it can push the rear seal out of oil pump. This will cause this smokey problem.

bobkyle2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hate that valvoline.. I ran it on my last engine (It wasn't oil injected) .. And it did run much smokier and seemed like it plugged my bleed lines... Never ran correctly after that intill i changed plugs and bleed lines.

So it could be your problem... I don't know too much about that oil injection system :/

Ok I have worked out why the alarm isnt working on turning the key its fryed just got another one hopefully soon to be installed tonight maybe.

I have let the engine set now for 3 days since replace the fuel -oil check valve ...Just acquired a plastic 44g drum so i can have decent water flow. I will video the start up tomorrow to show you guys how much it smokes if it still does it .

Ok I took a Video of the engine starting up today [video]http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/Cyprustaff1/?action=view&current=1ststartup.mp4[/video] its only short but this is not as bad if it was sitting for a week.

Then waited 2 hours and restarted [video]http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/Cyprustaff1/?action=view&current=2ndstartup.mp4[/video] still a fair bit of smoke.

Then decided to put new plugs and also drain out all of the Valvoline 2 stroke oil out of both storage tank and also tank at the coweling and replace it with Quicksilver 2 stroke oil.

By the time i went and got new oil drained it all out swapped plugs the engine had sat for about 3 hrs [video]http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/Cyprustaff1/?action=view&current=afterplugsandoilchange.mp4[/video]
This is no choke nor fast idle lever on start up .
Hopefully by the looks of the last Video fingers crossed I wont be needed breathing masks or fire extinguisher .
Im going to take the boat out in the morning sometime to give it a good run. I will keep a good eye on how it starts

Well took the boat for a run this morning hardly any smoke on start up let it idle for about 5 mins. Normal amount of 2 stroke smoke visible .
Looks like the problems gone ..

Thanks to everyone who helped out

Greg