help

PWEIKLE

Recruit
I have a 1988 bass tracker tx-17 with a mercury classic fifty motor. I have used it a couple of times this year with no problems until now. I went to use it a while back and dumped it in the water and tried to start it. I got nothing but a click from the solenoid. starter wont engage and trim wont work. I replaced the starter solenoid and it still wont fire or anything. What could this be? it is getting power to the solenoid and to the starter.

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: help

May be bad battier, wiring more an likly wiring from battier check it gr

bobkyle2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you tried jumping it across the solenoid?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Grab your trusty battery jumper cables and jump directly from the battery to the starter motor. Does it crank now?

Is the battery any good? Check the water levels, charge it, take it in somewhere and have it LOAD TESTED. Did it pass?

The majority of starter problems are poor battery cable connections, BOTH ends must be clean, bright, and tight, including the short starter cable AND the starter MOUNTS, which are the ground connections for the starter.

Once all connections and battery are confirmed and the starter still won't crank using the jumper cables, it is time to take the starter apart to clean the commutator, replace the brushes, sometimes the springs also, lightly lube the bushings and screw it all back together.