No Power under Throttle- Mercury 1150 1976

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class
76 Merc 1150 Inline 6.

Motor has been sitting for a while and this is only my second time ever starting it. Anyhow, replaced water pump impeller and before I went any further I wanted to make sure it peed water. Took FOREVER to get started and finally after it did, it would run for maybe a minute then shut off. Start again, same thing. Start again, put in gear, prop spins, throttle it and stays the same then dies? Lever for high idle has no effect on idle at all.
Tried readjusting the throttle cable, nothing?
Brand new gas....
Brand new spark plugs?

Anybody got a hint? Im starting to wonder if this motor is worth the trouble.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: No Power under Throttle- Mercury 1150 1976

Clean or rebuild the carbs and check the fuel pump would be my first choice for trouble. JMO.
Oldman570

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wouldnt happen to have any tips for rebuilding the carbs would ya? Maybe a link?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

A manual for the motor is cheap compaired to the cost of a motor, and is a must have if you plan on working on it yourself and keeping it .
Oldman570

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Rebuilding the carbs is pretty simple. So is the fuel pump. Replace the floats too, they don't come with the carb kits. Can get all the parts right here. Replace the internal fuel hoses too. I did all that this spring and my '79 inline 115hp now runs like new. Get the manual.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rebuilding the carbs is pretty simple. So is the fuel pump. Replace the floats too, they don't come with the carb kits. Can get all the parts right here. Replace the internal fuel hoses too. I did all that this spring and my '79 inline 115hp now runs like new. Get the manual.
Ive got the manual, sorry- I must have overlooked the WHOLE FUEL SECTION. Sorry, been flustered. Guess Im going to have to get the carb rebuild kits and the fuel pump rebuild also. I guess its not too bad of idea to do on a motor this old. Yes, your correct- those hoses look like hell.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

PS- I looked up carb rebuild kits here, but Im unsure which carbs I have. Is it stamped on the carb which one they are?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Don't worry if you have several leftover parts from the kits. They make them for several different engines. That bothered me until I thought about it. Wasn't kidding about the floats. When I took mine out I weighed them with my reloading powder scale. The old ones were much heavier than the new ones which I attribute to haveing soaked up some fuel over the years.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

I seen the floats briefly when browsing for carb rebuild kits. They dont seem to expensive and most surely will be a must if Im in there anyhow. Gotta wait till payday to order anything, but Im also going to check compression.