Main Jet Issue 1969 Mercury 500?????

michaud500

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1969 mercury 50 #2629264.

I rebuilt the carb over the winter. Rebuilt the fuel pump and replaced all hoses. But I forgot to clean the tank! So I Took out the boat and at first it purred beautifully. Than I decided to open her up and did a nice 5 10 minute run at WOT. Made a nice left hand turn and something happened. First she spun like a spun prop. Than I slowed down and went again, not as fast. She was still runnin fine. shut her down for a bit. Than I did another run and at WOT all of a sudden the motor started to bogg so I quickly shut it down. It started to not idle quit right and would run ok at low RPM's. I decided to take apart the carb again and found some black chunks before the filter in the upper carb reservoir. I cleaned everything out again, put it back together. I discovered that the main jet in the upper carb wont seat, I must have strip it when reassembled the first over hall. Now I cant remove or seat the Jet.

Is this the root cause for the bad idle!?? There was no contaminants in the carb just the fuel reservoir.

What can I do to fix this????!!!!!

Very carefully put fuel sealant around the jet while putting something in the Jet hole??

Get a new jet! larger in diameter!??

Thanks!

Especially to the Vets of this great country!!!

michaud500

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Main Jet Issue 1969 Mercury 500?????

Bump

Any ideas on fixing the striped out jet!!!????