Mercury 15 hP 2005 stalling. Please help

laaroussi

Cadet
:( I recenlty bought a mercury outboard 15 hp 2005 serial # 1B194135. the motor hasnt been started for 2 years.

The motor is hard to start maybe after 10 tries and when it starts it stalls when going to full throlle or switching to reverse. coudl be an air leak on fuel line or fuel pump needs replacement?

Thank you for helping me

Star

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury 15 hP 2005 stalling. Please help

A motor of this age isn't having fuel pump problems. You didn't say if it was 2 or 4 stroke. Is it electric start? With primer bulb pumped up firm, your carb should full of fuel. It will run for more than a minute at idle even without a fuel pump. There are many threads on 4 stroke carbs that sat for awhile exhibit this problem. The passages in the carb are very small and clog easily, some give up and buy a new carb, but they all can be cleaned with GOOD cleaners and air preasure to blow out the tiny passages. These engines should start with two pulls!!!

laaroussi

Cadet

It is 2 stroke with manual starter. I started the motor this evening at home and it started with 2 nd pull and didnt stall. This motor makes me a liar. Maybe the problem happens only at the lake with more load. I will give a try this week end

Mi duckdown

Commander

That motor has an enricher/ choke. you pull it out and push it in a couple times and turn it cw to andvance spark.
once started turn knob ccw.
I believe it is your starting procedure.

laaroussi

Cadet

Ok I just came back from the lake and now the motor starts ok but when I put it in full speed it died instantly. But no problem if I go slow and then increase the speed slowly. What could be the issue?