95 Mercury XR6 150HP

Lawenforcer

Cadet
Hello All,
I am in a predicament here, I am currently looking to sell my boat. Well there is a guy that come and said that he would trade for my boat straight up. The question is that his boat is 4 years older, it is a 1995 Champion 181DC with a 1995 XR6 150 HP motor on it. I am extremely unfamiliar with the boat and the motor. He stated that the motors compression is 105 across the board on the motor. That is one thing I am concerned about. My 98 75hp Merc. runs 130 across the board. I think 105 sounds low. I don't want to trade for a motor that I am going to have to put money into. Also, if there is anyone that has had one of these motors are they good or bad? I am just really thinking hard about all this and it is driving me nuts, lol...If you all can give me some insight I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Rich

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 95 Mercury XR6 150HP

Rich, That Merc V6 motor is a standard proven design. If it has even compression and it runs, and the gearcase is good, it is likely mechanically sound. A lot of compression gauges are inaccurate, which is fine, since they are reliable.