Need help! Mercury 115 inline won't start, no spark. Was running

RamAirZ

Seaman Apprentice
So I thought I would start a thread about my current issue. I have a 1980 Mercury 115 inline on the back of my 1990 SeaRay that won't run. When I picked the boat up, the owner fired it up (after the engine lugging from what sounded like a dead battery and a jump from my truck) and it sounded great. Get it home, and now it won't run. After some reading on the wiring diagrams, I found a few issues with the PO's or PPO's wiring. First off, they had a wire running from the positive terminal of the battery to a ground on the boat and none of my gauges or radio would work. Fixed that and put correct terminals on and voila, everything else on the boat works now. Then they have a wire running off the mercury switch plus 1 wire off each ignition box running to the gray harness wire, when according to the diagram the black/yellow wire should be connected to all of these and the gray wire should run to the rectifier. Here is a few pics:

You see in this pic, the gray wire is connected to a wire from the mercury switch, one from the top ignition box and one from the lower:
20120522_194253.jpg

Here's the Mercury Switch, the black/yellow wire was connected to this switch via a green wire, then a green wire ran off this switch to the bundle connected to the gray wire:
20120522_194306.jpg

And a pic of the rectifier:
20120522_194513.jpg

I hooked the black/yellow wire to the ones running from the mercury switch and ignition boxes and used a jumper from the gray wire to the rectifier to do some testing. Motor spins over great, won't fire. I pulled the #3 and #4 plug to test for spark (figured if only one ignition box was bad one of them would work). Held the plug against the block, nothing. So it seems like I have zero spark. I tested the black/yellow wire and it seems grounded (didn't get continuity to ground but if I used it as my ground on my meter it worked), so I tried disconnecting the black/yellow wire from that bundle and ran power to it to see if she'd fire, nothing. Can someone point me in a good direction? Am I doing these tests right? This is my first Mercury and other than your typical maintenance and some carb/fuel pump rebuilds, this is my first extensive boat motor project. I also put my leads on the ignition coils while cranking and I got negative volts, weird huh? And yes, I had the leads hooked up correctly.

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need help! Mercury 115 inline won't start, no spark. Was running

Ok, the black/yellow is the kill switch(shut off switch). You may have damaged your switchboxes by putting power to them(there should never be voltage on them). Disconnect both of them at the boxes and see if you get spark.

RamAirZ

Seaman Apprentice

ok I'll try that. That's what I get from taking other's advice. Someone told me that those wires should have 12 volts while running so I figured I'd jump them. Hopefully they are still good. Let ya know in a few

RamAirZ

Seaman Apprentice

Awesome!! I disconnected the wires at the box, and checked spark at all 6 cylinders. Had spark on all cylinders except 3 and 5. I cranked her over, she sounded like she wanted too, shot a small spray of starting fluid in there and she fired right up, then had spark on all 6. Now the bad news, I did something stupid while trying to get the damn engine to shut off (tried hooking the wires back to the box which was a bit difficult) and reverted to my car experience and pulled the battery cables, then realized oh crap, I think I've read you shouldn't do that lol. I ended up just pulling all the plug wires to shut her down. Hooked the wires back up so I could easily ground them to make sure she would start again and she did. Think I hurt anything by pulling the battery cables? Also any clues to why 3 and 5 weren't sparking at first? Maybe just old coils that take a second to kick in?

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class

Disconnecting battery: check the voltage on the battery before starting and then while it's running. If it's charging then your probably ok.
Switchboxes: The two studs you were connecting the wires back to: those are just a ground to shut off engine through te key switch. You have a problem with the key circuit, the black/yellow is from the key, check fo voltage with key on and then off, should be no voltage ever.
Check same wire to engine ground, should have continuity with key off, no continuity with key on.
As far as spark: you should test the system with a dva adapter but if you don't keep hecking the spark jump from each plug wire and see if it's good. There is still a chance you have a switchbox going.

RamAirZ

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all your help. I checked battery before running and had 11.98v, while running it came up but very slowly, got to 12.1v but I'm thinking I'll need a rectifier. Also, where does the tach signal come from on these? Trying to get my tach working now. I checked the wiring on the kill circuit and the mercury switch was bad so got rid of it and it turns off fine with the key now. Just need to get the speedo hooked back up, figure out the tach/fuel gauge and find out of the water temp gauge works, I doubt it but you never know. Also just noticed something tonight and can't believe I didn't notice it before, the engine is only held on by the clamps up top, there are no bolts running through the transom. I take it I need to drill a few holes huh before I drop her in lol

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class

The tach wire which is normally gray gets hooked the rectifier. In your picture it would go to either blue wire.
Get that engine bolted on, use some sealer to keep water out when putting the bolts in.

RamAirZ

Seaman Apprentice

Gotcha, I hooked to that and still not working, I'm going to keep tracing. Got everything bolted down and sealed up. Took her out the other night and had her out for a few hours and she ran amazing.....until it was time to load her up. Excited with the new boat, decided to whip it around real quick, no biggie done it before and always alert for the jump in RPM if it catches air in the prop. Well after that it makes a weird knock/rattle, but only seems to do it when it's in the water. With muffs hooked up, I can't seem to find it. I noticed that the "brace" thing that bolts to the front and rear of the motor and runs up and over the flywheel (the piece that the upper cowl piece snaps onto) is cracked across the front and if I grab the whole upper section I can move it back and forth easily and it makes a knock sound, but this seemed to follow rpm and get quieter at certain rpms. I took her out today since I couldn't get it to knock at home and she did it all day. Seemed to run fine and got on plane just as quickly as the other day and the sound didn't get any worse or any better throughout the day. Any opinions?

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class

Run the engine in the water with the covers off and take the bracket off. See if the noise goes away. Don't stop too fast or you'll get back wash into your engine.

levec

Cadet
Hi Sunfish. I'm from Macedonia and i'm new here on forum. Please help me also. I have the same engine and he is not started almost ten years. we atarted him before two weeks and no problem, but after two week i dont have spark on 3 and 6 cylinder. What is the problem. I try with other spark plug and still no spark.

levec

Cadet
Hi Sunfish. I'm from Macedonia and i'm new here on forum. Please help me also. I have the same engine and he is not started almost ten years. we atarted him before two weeks and no problem, but after two week i dont have spark on 3 and 6 cylinder. What is the problem. I try with other spark plug and still no spark.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Levec, You might check the CDIElectronics Website and run the test for your ADI ignition. Offhand, I would say your trigger is likely bad.