150 Optimax starting question

NFA

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's an Optimax 150, V6. This is my third season with the engine and it's been an absolute beauty to run and enjoy. Had it out for the weekend up at our cabin on the ocean, during this time it sits in the water the entire stay.

Typically when I start the engine, I twist the key a half turn, wait for the beep (choke engages), wait a second, then turn the key and it turns on, very simple. Sometimes on a cold start, it'll take a couple times to start, but I've never had an issue with starting, which is one of the main reasons I bought this engine, and absolutely love it.

Anyways, this weekend I noticed that it wasn't firing as quickly as it has in the past. I would turn the key, it would crank once or twice, beep, then stop. I would try it again...crank crank, beep, stop. One time when starting I had to do this three times, but then once it did go, it would roar to life and run and start beautifully the rest of the day.

So I'm just wondering if this is something normal? There were no tell tale signs of something or anything wrong. My initial thought is that it's just that the spark plugs may have been damp or moist from being on the ocean over the past few days (moist air, water, etc). And eventually the spark would dry out any moisture in the plugs and it would eventually fire. Ithere anything else to consider with this, or am I just being neurotic? Like I said, the boat runs beautifully, this starting "issue" only occured in the morning on the initial start-up (after sitting for almost an entire day and overnight in the ocean while buoyed).

So ya, any thoughts?

Thanks;

SSS

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 150 Optimax starting question

An Optimax is a direct fuel injected engine and as such doesn't have a choke. So whatever you are doing in that regard is not appplicable to this engine.

NFA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies guys...

I do have a primer bulb on it but over the years the only time I've used it is to fire up the engine after it's sat over the winter. Throughout the course of the season I rarely prime it, should I make it a habit to prime the bulb more often? I can see how that would cause the engine to work harder to get gas into the carbs, etc etc?

I thought every time I turned the key a quarter turn and heard the beep, it meant that the choke was engaging? I'm guessing then that the beep is simply the electronics and various systems turning on once I've turned the key?

Thanks again.

Bartine

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The beep at start is there just to let you know the buzzer is working

NFA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good to know. :D

Any ideas on the stalled starting I explained up top?

stalker14

Seaman Apprentice

If you have a good solid check valve on your tank and primer bulb then you would only need to do it once but, fuel often seeps back into the tank and the bulb may be empty when you try to start and you are relying on the fuel pump to draw fuel all the way from the tank. I always give my primer bulb a few squeezes on a first start. If it is hard then you are good if not then you will be able to tell if it is full of fuel or not.

NFA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Stalker, I'm taking it out next weekend or earlier if the weather improves. I'll be sure to check the primer just to see if it's full of fuel or not, and will definitely give it a few pumps.