1976 mercury 1150 spark trouble

moffat

Recruit
I am new to boating and I have a 1976 Mercury 1150 that would not start. I checked the spark and it was not getting spark so I checked another plug and it was getting spark so I tested the first one and then it was getting spark. The engine started after I put the plugs back in. the engine ran for a short time and died and would not start. I kept checking the spark in different plugs until it showed spark then the engine would run for a while. This happened several times. I am not sure how to locate the problem when sometimes I have spark and sometimes I do not. Does anyone know what might cause the spark to work part of the time but not all of the time?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 mercury 1150 spark trouble

Intermittent spark can be caused by intermittent power to the switchbox and intermittent trigger. On those old Mercs, the engine wiring harnesses fall apart causing all kinds of issues. I recommend you inspect your witing harness and replace as necessary. CDIElectronics has an ign troubleshooting procedure for that ign system. I recommend you run it.

moffat

Recruit

The only test for Mercury 6 cylindars on the CDI Electronics website is for 1978 and up and mine before that, is it the same test?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You need the battery powered distributor CDI ignition test. It is in the troubleshooting procedure from CDI, you just need to look for it.