Motor Lost Power : 1995 Mariner 225

Marcmac

Cadet
1995 Mariner 225 (3.0L Carb.) model: I was heading back to the ramp and all the sudden the motor missed a little and shut down completely. I was able to start it after a few minutes and limp into the ramp, but the motor had no power. Felt like it was only running on a few cylinders. I had to idle a long way to get into and out of where I was fishing. I noticed on the way out it was missing a little every once and a while. I attributed it to the slow speed, but I thought it may be relevant. Otherwise I did a lot of running and it did great all day. I am mechanically inclined and if I could test and fix myself i would enjoy that, but really I want to have an idea of what is wrong before I take it to someone. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Marcmac

Cadet
Re: Motor Lost Power : 1995 Mariner 225

The ECU part # on the boat is 8248661 and no one seems to carry it online. Does that mean it is not available or is there a alternate part now.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Check the TPS (yes it has one ) and for spark on all cylinders. A TPS failure along will cause this as wiil a sticking shift switch/blown diode as it will drop one complete bank (side) of cylinders.(shift switch problem)

Marcmac

Cadet

It looks like I am getting a pretty good spark on all 6 cylinders. Could it be my carburetors? The motor cuts out when I remove 5 of the spark plugs but there is one that doesn't make any difference when I remove it.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Those engines where known for bad CDM module failures also, check your fuel for water contamination...