Mercury Side mount control

vhfireman

Recruit
I recently bought a boat with a 1980 40 hp merc and mercury side mount control. It is the original boat, motor, control combination. The problem I am having, well there are multiple but I think I need to solve this one first, the button on the shift/throttle lever for throttle only will depress, but will not disengage the shifting mechanism.

I do have some experience working on boat motors, but very little working with a control box. I did take it apart and put it back together the way it was without noticing anything obviously wrong, but without an assembly diagram that is hard to determine. I did find the parts that move when you depress the throttle only button. There is a ball bearing and a pin which are returned by a spring with a plastic slide on it. Im not sure which order they are supposed to go in there, but when I got it the bearing was in first, then the pin, with the slide and spring outside. It feels like the button won't go in all the way. my first thought was to switch the pin and ball bearing, however I don't want to put them in wrong and cause damage.

Does anyone have a parts diagram that will show me what order it goes together, or a link to one? I have been searching the net for quite some time and it is hard to find information on control boxes.

Thank you for your help

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mercury Side mount control

My diagram is showing 2 springs,detent ball follower then detent ball.Maybe your missing a spring.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Is it a Quicksilver Control? I have a pdf of a the service manual that covers most of the Mercury controls (Quicksilver 2000, 3000, etc.).

I think I got it on-line at the Mercury site. If you can't find it send me a PM and I can e-mail it to you.

vhfireman

Recruit

It says mercury on the side. When I took it apart I looked briefly for any other Identifying information and didn't see any. I'm quite sure it is the original 1980 control.

When I attempt to operate it the button feels like I should be able to depress it further, but I can't seem to get it to go. I've tried wiggling it around some in case things aren't lined up properly and that doesn't seem to help. I'm going to tear into it again today and see if I can get a better look at things and if there is a part number or something in there to try and help Identify it.

vhfireman

Recruit

It appears my problem is in the spring. I took the plastic cover off, removed the small plate that retains the spring, removed the spring, pressed the button and voila, it worked perfectly. Reassembled it, realigned the spring so the plastic slide that inserts into the end of the spring could slide into the entirety of the spring. ( I could see where it had been catching on the spring not allowing full depression of the button.) It allowed me to do throttle only into reverse but not forward. I made the mistake of wanting it to be perfect instead of adequate, took it apart again, and lost the spring and slide.....

Inside the metal housing of the unit there is a molded in number 85892. I am hoping this is a part or model number and I will be able to find someone that still sells parts for it.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Is it a Quicksilver Control? I have a pdf of a the service manual that covers most of the Mercury controls (Quicksilver 2000, 3000, etc.).

I think I got it on-line at the Mercury site. If you can't find it send me a PM and I can e-mail it to you.

The 3000 Qk box is with the button and mounts IN the bulkhead. The 2000 is the other one and has no button; rather a fast idle lever at the rear and mounts ON the bulkhead. Personally I hate the former and about 6 months ago threw mine in the trash and installed a new 2000 I bought on this site. Ahhh problem solved.

Mark

vhfireman

Recruit

After following carholme's link I was able to Identify my control box as the "Commander Classic side mount control". What I also Identified is the shift gear pin was installed backwards, pointy end in instead of out. I did find the spring and plug that I thought I had lost in an earlier post. Unfortunately I had completely disassembled it before I noticed the link posted on the forum. So I spent hours fumbling with this thing trying to get it together, had to replace a bearing plate retainer (spring clip), get all the dirt and grime cleaned out since I had it apart, and put some good new lube in it, and believe it or not, when all the parts are lubed and installed correctly it works like new!

Thanks all for your help.

Mike