1977 Mercury 850 Tilt Cylinder/Absorber Leak...

dldoolit

Cadet
This is more of a parts question?
Also, this is my first post, so bear with me. Been trolling the forums/internet to find similar issues, but no luck.
I have a 1977 Mercury 850 Thunderbolt Ignition, 4 Cyl. 2-Stroke.
The original Tilt/Trim motor works fine, plenty of fluid.

BUT, my problem is when standing on ground looking at motor/transom. It's leaking from the cross-member underneath the right tilt cylinder. So, it's not leaking directly from the cylinder itself. It leaks from the cross-member or absorber (runs parallel to ground) that the cylinder goes into. I have no idea what this part is called it appears to be weathered underneath and needs to be refurbished or replaced.

If anyone has any idea of what I am talking about, advice on how to fix, a part name or needs more info. please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.

regards

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1977 Mercury 850 Tilt Cylinder/Absorber Leak...

probably best to get a can of cleaner degreaser that evaporates quickly and clean that cylinder up, most likely place would be where the hoses attach to cylinder, make sure the curved metal fitting end is butted up against the cyl.so it clears the bolt when all the way down, if there are any drips on the ground you should be able to find it.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It almost sounds like your referring to the Sacrificial Anode Plate which is usually place under trim motors??
Your best bet is to post a few pics so we know what you are referring to.

dldoolit

Cadet

See the attached image. The boat is at the shop, otherwise I'd take an actual photo.
Hopefully, this will help. Thanks for the input guys, this is great!

Attachments

• What is this part!_!.jpg
    What is this part!_!.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That part of the PTT system is solid steel. First make sure it is PTT fluid that is leaking not 2 cycle oil from some other part of the motor. next look at place where trim cylinder rod goes into trim cylinder. There is an oring and a wiper to seal it. Leaking past that ring is not unusual, and eaily fixed.