1975 85hp mercury thinderbolt blueband wires and distributor cap

allan1966

Cadet
Hi,
I need to replace the wires on my 1975 85 hp thunderbolt blueband along with the distributor. The local dealers say they don't service anything later then 87 so I'm in a bit of bind. Any help in finding parts would be appreciated.

Al

:redface:

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1975 85hp mercury thinderbolt blueband wires and distributor cap

There could be a reason they dont service anything earlier then 87, they simply may not know how to work on them or to lazy to learn, you can probably find a new internal wiring harness here at iboats, the distributer you will probably have to google or go to ebay, there are several websites with the parts schematic that you need for p/n's.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Motor wiring harnesses are available lots of places on the web. I liked the price at surplusunlimited. Distributors can be found aftermarket, used and rebuilt. What is wrong with your's?

allan1966

Cadet

Motor wiring harnesses are available lots of places on the web. I liked the price at surplusunlimited. Distributors can be found aftermarket, used and rebuilt. What is wrong with your's?

I got my boat and motor as a project boat. The gentleman I got it from said the motor ran before he stored it. When I changed the plugs and bought a new battery, tried new gas but when I turned the key....nothing, no clicking no trying to turn over. The flywheel can be turned but I've yet to try starting it that way. Just wondering if the starter maybe shot. I will be getting new wires for it, ordered online. Is there anything i should check first?

Thanks Al

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Sure, Jump the starter from the battery. Then jumper the primary on the starter solenoid. If both work, turn the key and rock th throttle handle. Maybe the neutral switch is stuck or broke.