2008 Mercury 4 stroke efi not charging

magoo79

Recruit
I was out on the water a couple weekends ago, and when I put in I was not seeing anything on my amp meter on the dash and my humminbird said low voltage. The engine started up fine, and my my motor was not giving any warning horns. I was 10min from the basspro in portage, IN. They looked at it and said that the problem was with the suppressor diode. I replaced that and still no charging. I picked up the service manual and checked the stator wires. Both I get .5vdc with the motor off. I ran the diode tests on the voltage regulator and they all seem to check out.
Looking at the schematics it look like the red wire from the voltage regulator goes to the starting solenoid where the battery cable connects to. I tried to verify continuity and it shows open. I tried to measure voltage by putting the red on the red wire, and the black to an engine screw. No voltage. I am guessing that the issue might be the wire went bad. Do they sell that wire or loom of wire? Is there a fuseable link on that red wire from the voltage regulator to the starter solenoid? Is my thinking correct on this?

Mike

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2008 Mercury 4 stroke efi not charging

I had the same problem and had to replace the regulator. Mercury do a kit including a new manifold that produces less heat where the regulator sits. The kit price is less than the individual price of the regulator. This is a sort of admission and compensation from Mercury. Ask your dealer.

Regards

Dave