2004 Mercury 60/40 jet outboard problem

Sebskie

Recruit
Hello,

I bought a Tracker Grizzly with a 2004 60/40 jet. The boat ran great first time out then the second time the problem started and is still happening. The problem is the boat will get up on plane no problem but once it gets going it all of a sudden drops power and come of plane and then kicks back in again..and will do it on and off till i back off the throttle. If I pull off throttle and then back on it, the boat go back on plane for about 30 seconds to a minute and then it happens again. The weird thing is this doesn't happen all the time. I have had a few time when it ran fine for a while without a problem. So it is very hard to troubleshoot since it is sporadic issue.

I have rebuilt the carbs, replace the fuel filter, emptied tank and refilled with fresh gas, squeezed the ball while the problem happens and no change. Also replace spark plugs. Compression on all 3 cylinders is 110. I have no rpm gauge on boat as I thought maybe it was the rpm limiter but it has also happened when i backed off throttle to 3/4 while still on plan.

So after all this I took it to the marina who said they ran it in pond at differnt rpm's all day and saw no problem. So i assume this is only happening while it under load. I am at a lose here and running out of money. When it loses power it instantly so I starting to think it electrical. Where do I start? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sebastian

Sebskie

Recruit
Re: 2004 Mercury 60/40 jet outboard problem

Anyone?... I really could use some help.