1976 Merc 850 not peeing properly

eroth111

Cadet
I have a merc 850 and its not peeing like it should, i assume something is clogged in the tube, because i took apart and replaced/cleaned the water pump. I also cleaned out the short tube the connects the block to the hole in the side of the motor housing. My question is does anyone have any advice on how to clean out the rest of the system to get it to pee like it should. Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 Merc 850 not peeing properly

Normally just the telltale will clog up. Keep cleaning it and see if it will work properly, when running on the flusher device.

eroth111

Cadet

Normally just the telltale will clog up. Keep cleaning it and see if it will work properly, when running on the flusher device.

ok. what do you recommend trying to clean the system with? just a piece of thin wire or something?
thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

yes, a lot of folks use weed whacker line. Most anything that will work is acceptable. Pull the rubber hose off the nipple and make sure the nipple is allowing full water flow. If it is, the clog is in the restrictor in the lower cowling.

eroth111

Cadet

yes, a lot of folks use weed whacker line. Most anything that will work is acceptable. Pull the rubber hose off the nipple and make sure the nipple is allowing full water flow. If it is, the clog is in the restrictor in the lower cowling.

awesome! the weed whacker line is a really good idea. Ill try it out. Thanks very much!

Moody Blue

Captain

A number of times over the years I've found the telltale plugged by mud-dauber wasps. They lay eggs in the hose then fill it with small insects and seal it up with a mud plug.

With the motor running (in the water or on muffs) feed the trimmer line into the telltale. By twisting the line as you insert it, it will reach quite far up the hose and into the block. Repeatedly insert and remove the line a little at a time to free up any blockage that might be in there.

eroth111

Cadet

A number of times over the years I've found the telltale plugged by mud-dauber wasps. They lay eggs in the hose then fill it with small insects and seal it up with a mud plug.

With the motor running (in the water or on muffs) feed the trimmer line into the telltale. By twisting the line as you insert it, it will reach quite far up the hose and into the block. Repeatedly insert and remove the line a little at a time to free up any blockage that might be in there.

not positive, but i think its sand because one of my friends convinced me to drive somewhere I hadnt been before at night and it ended up being 4 inches deep ...:mad: so i think thats what it is. Also, my first boat so I don't know what the telltale is but i assume its what other refer to as the "pee hole" or where the water comes out of the motor casing.
Thanks for the advice.