No Start. 1976 Mercury 1150 No Spark.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay, here goes.
INFO on MOTOR:
1976 Mercury 1150 Serial 43118XX

I purchased the motor from a guy on ebay about a year ago. Guy claimed compression numbers were great. Came with a "MerControl" box. Alot of wires were shot, so I put in another harness. Also cut off the broken wires to the stator and replaced them. Got a newer "commander" style control with good boatside wires and tossed the MerControl.

So at this point in my resto, i figured it was time to try and get the motor started instead of continuing on any further. Glad I did......

I hooked everything up and the boat cranked fine. But no start.. So, I pulled one of the spark plug wires and cranked the motor. Seemed as if no spark???

CHECKED:
12v to red wire on switchbox with key in off--- YES
12v to red and white wire on switchbox with key ON---YES

Have brown wire to rectifier as per SELOC-switched to switchbox as per other diagram---NO SPARK

Disconnected merc safety switch-- STILL NO SPARK
Pulled cap off distributor-- a little chewed on center electrode (brush?) needs replaced...

Jumped Red and white on switch box- then jumped black and brown on Port side to see if I hear anything inside Distributor----NOTHING.

STILL NO SPARK.

I did notice that one of the spark plug wires was a different color, so i checked it at the dis cap--It pulled out freely. THe screw in connector is garbage and need to replace spark plug wire.

Any input is appreciated, Im no pro at outboards, so be easy on me.
Does anyone know where I can get one spark plug wire with the threaded end for cheap?
Also, what would you suggest testing next. I can provide photos if needed.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: No Start. 1976 Mercury 1150 No Spark.

Okay. Pulled the trigger wires and tried the CDI test jumping the brown and white and tapping the black to a ground. Got a chug the first time around but after that, nothing more than some arcing noises coming from inside the distributor. Put it all back together and now I get spark on the first turn of the key and when I let off. Nothing inbetween????

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a bad trigger.....sorry.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got it started. Cleaned the contacts on the distributor side of the switch box and it fired and idled. Even with the one jacked up spark plug wire. Time to get that fixed and see where things go from there.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a company that sells the yellow wires http://store.oldmercs.com/category_s/1902.htm and if you are going to go all the way, check the timing belt for cracks and rot.

Before I go getting all new wires, the local marina sells just the end screw in terminals for a 1.50. THey have to order them, but those wires arent a bad price either.

YOu wouldnt happen to know how to crimp either end on do ya?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Check the wires for spark arcing to ground. They do last a long time, but not forever.

merc850

Commander

If I had to do it I would solder the wire into the terminal then center punch it on the side.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I had to do it I would solder the wire into the terminal then center punch it on the side.

Hmm.. I think Ill grab a few from the local yard... OR I could always order the one with the thread already crimped on....