1982 50 hp 4cyl Mercury Outbard fuel problem

haastyl

Recruit
I have a 1982 50hp 4cyl Mercury outbaord that I purchased used on Craigs list. When I go the motor home I couldnt get it running, after some troubleshooting I discovered there was some seriously bad gas in the carbs. I took the carbs off, but not apart and cleaned them really good. Replaced the gaskets and re-assembled. I was able to get the motor running and made a few minor adjustments to the low speed idle and she was running and sounding great. I rigged the motor onto my boat and headed out to the lake. She ran great at varrying speeds with no issues so i figured the next day she was ready for the Puget Sound and some Ling Cod fishing. After a little while it started lugging down with throttle applied and then didnt want to run or start at all. When I attempted to pump the fuel ball it wouldnt re-inflate, I swapped tanks with the tank I run my Mercury kicker on and had the same problem. When I really tried hard I could get fuel to pump through the bulb and into the carbs and get her running again at an idle, but anytime I tried to give it throttle it would just die on me. Do I have a bad fuel pump or is it possible its as simple as a clogged filter? After cleaning the carbs of all the bad gas, I never did replace the fule filter. Any help/advice would be great! Thanks.

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1982 50 hp 4cyl Mercury Outbard fuel problem

If the bulb won't inflate there is a restriction on the tank side of the bulb.

haastyl

Recruit

If the bulb won't inflate there is a restriction on the tank side of the bulb.

Well that is what I thought as well, and it makes sense. I was kind of glad out in the water that the bulb was having issues, figuring I could just swap tanks, as I run an older Mercury kicker motor as well with the same fuel/oil mix. But, much to my dismay the problem occured with the other fuel tank as well, which has been running the kicker motor just fine with zero issue for several hours. After reading in the SELOC manual I figure the problem has to be fuel pump and or fuel filter. I think I will start with the fuel filter first. I dont want to have to rebuild the fuel pump if its not necessary.

On a side note, speaking of fuel filters, could I add an additional filter inline with the fuel line at the fuel tank? Basically can you put a generic, regular automobile fuel filter on a 2-cycle engine or will the fuel/oil mix make the regualr paper filter inoperative?

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class

On a side note, speaking of fuel filters, could I add an additional filter inline with the fuel line at the fuel tank? Basically can you put a generic, regular automobile fuel filter on a 2-cycle engine or will the fuel/oil mix make the regualr paper filter inoperative?

I just used an inline snowmoble fuel filter ......its plastic and wont spark if banged around ........I bought the same motor last year and had a ball with it .......built like a tank.....runs like a top.......check it out here.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqFGW2uQtLo