115hp??

Dirt_Farmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Found this on craigs, I have not been around a mercury outboard, and don't know where to start.

I know its on a 1977 boat, is the outboard close to the same year? Parts availability? Power and economy compared to a jonnyrude of the same vintage? Problems to look for when i go look at it?

Thanks, Jeff

ajsumms

Cadet
Re: 115hp??

That looks like the one I just got. It looks like mine but if it says 1150 on the side it could be up to a 1978. I think they changed a little in 79'. Check the internal wiring harness for brittleness. You might want to check the wires coming off of the distributor. The one i got I had to cut and splice a few wires. Make sure it says Thunderbolt on it as well. This means it is a electronic ingition. You can get the parts still but some are a little pricey. I have found that they call these "Tower of Power". I also found that these were the best power to weight ratio motors "ever built". Thats what they said not me. It looks like it has the power tilt and trim. I have that as well. I haven't gotten mine out yet as I have more work to do on the rest of the boat but I'm satisfied with the way mine starts and idles. I have heard that these can be hard starters too. I'm no expert. I just found these forums. This is just what I have found in my research. I'd have them start and run it if possible to see if water comes out of the pee hole on the side. This will tell you if it needs an impeller and how long it has been sitting. Again I'm not an expert. Good Luck!! Hope this will help.

Dirt_Farmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, looking at $500 for the motor and trailer. Is that a decent price?

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Be a bit careful. The wires and ignition parts are expensive and known to fail. I have one now Im trying to get started......
Other than that, it sure is a cool motor!
Check the VIN on the motor (one on plate near tilt tube, and there is one on the starboard side of the engine block) you can easily reference those numbers to give you a closer idea of what year it is. Also, the ignition setup will tell you what year it is by its design. There are three or four different designs.

ajsumms

Cadet

That isn't too bad. The wiring harness you can get for $120. Thats the internal harness. The switch box is around $500. The stator is over $300. The trigger is like $300 to $400. I haven't really checked on any prices other than the internal harness. You might be able to find them cheaper. I know the distributor is pretty expensive. The PO I bought mine from said the boat shop would rewire the whole engine for $2000. Again I say I'm no expert but this is what I do know. Good Luck!!

Dirt_Farmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, talked to the seller today, It is a 78', he has had it running but never in the water. He also did a impeller job on it and now it won't go into neutral.

It's an hour+ away so I won't get to look at it for a while.

Thanks, Jeff

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Jeff, He messed up the reinstall of the gearcase after the water pump rebuild. It is a common mistake for an amateur. I think it makes sense to consider all his information to be coming from an amateur that wants to make a sale.
If it is a freshwater motor, it has a small value ($300), provided it is in good shape. About 4 years ago, I replaced a Merc of that vintage with a 1993 135HPV6 for $1k, so I use that as a yardstick on value.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The engine is not a 1978. It's between 1972 and 1975

Dirt_Farmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help guys, I just scored a late 70's 115 evinrude for um free:cool: so I'll play with it for a while.

Thanks again, Jeff

Jim Berry

Cadet

I had exisiting boat with 1974 85hp evinrude , bought another boat with the 115hp merc, swapped motors. Bought for $1000 and sold for $1000. I am still trying to get my 115 merc running right. Replaced intermal wiring harness. Replacaed the gas line
(enricher line) runs parallel behind the starter between the carberators. That gas line was broken and I could not see it. Check all your hoses. Was getting water in the lower unit. Found a guy that works on old mercs in Charlotte NC He replaced all the lower seals for $200.00 (good deal) It usually takes 10 cranks to get it going. But it started right-up tonight. I just might make it on the water this year Good Luck !

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

That isn't too bad. The wiring harness you can get for $120. Thats the internal harness. The switch box is around $500. The stator is over $300. The trigger is like $300 to $400. I haven't really checked on any prices other than the internal harness. You might be able to find them cheaper. I know the distributor is pretty expensive. The PO I bought mine from said the boat shop would rewire the whole engine for $2000. Again I say I'm no expert but this is what I do know. Good Luck!!

You are shopping in the wrong places. I just bought a CDI switchbox for $220 with the coil. The CDI trigger was $200. The CDI wiring harness was $95 .

ajsumms

Cadet

The cheapest I could find on the harness was $108. Where were you buying from? Where would be a good deal for a water pump/impeller rebuild kit? I said in my other post that I'm not getting a stream from my telltale at idle but, if I bump the idle up just a touch I get a very strong stream. Any ideas? Sorry for getting off of your subject Dirt-farmer. Thanks

Last edited:

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Black Bear Sporting Goods. Best deals Ive found by far on the whole CDI line. I bought my water pump and a few other things on Iboats. The price wasnt the absolute best but I like to support the forum sponsor ( as long as it doesnt cost me too much :) )