Boat won't start. I need advice!!!

Scottina

Cadet
I have a 50 hp mercury 2 stroke that will not start. It will fire when you spray engine starter starter, but cuts out. It seems to be getting fuel and the plugs have spark. I see no reason it shouldn't be firing, but it is not. I need some advice from someone who knows a little more than I do!
Thanks!
:facepalm:

BonairII

Commander
Re: Boat won't start. I need advice!!!

If it fires when u spray starter fluid then it is probably NOT getting fuel to the carb on it's own. Clean the carbs and make sure the float(s) are set correctly.

Don't use starter fluid is starves the cylinders of oil. Make up some premix and put it in a spray bottle and use that it you want to spray fuel directly into the carbs.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Check your choke is working.Use plenty of throttle to start.

Scottina

Cadet

Thanks I will try that. Is it difficult to clean the carbs and set the float. Not a mechanic.:redface:

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks I will try that. Is it difficult to clean the carbs and set the float. Not a mechanic.:redface:
No its not difficult.You will need manual and correct carb kits to replace all gaskets etc.

Scottina

Cadet

Thanks, Should I replace the gaskets even if I am just cleaning it.

BonairII

Commander

Pull your carbs apart, if the gaskets/needle/seat are good...then just clean and reassemble. If gaskets are "iffy" just buy new gaskets or make new ones with gasket material(available at auto parts stores).

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check your choke is working.Use plenty of throttle to start.
.....ya...I bought a 1982 .....50 merc and I was not familiar with starting it and had same problem but someone on the site told me to use the choke and lots of throttle ........not a problem now .....fires right up every time and clears the misquitos away too for a couple of minutes !

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do it right the first time.Replace ALL gaskets.Only cost around $7 a set.
My gaskets looked great and so did my needle/seat assemblies,but I replaced anyway.Now carbs working perfect.Needle/seat assembly around $12 each.