Is it a 9.9 or 15?? Please help!!

Davidsed

Cadet
I have a mercury outboard, late 80's to early 90's, long shaft that I had bought for parts (gears ate up in lower unit). The guy told me it was an 8hp, but I couldn't cross reference the serial number anywhere on line to definitively say what horsepower it is. The serial number (both on the transom sticker and the side of the block) is 0C177662. The carburetor is a WMC and had two numbers on the left side of the throat: 0139 and underneath that a 28. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Is it a 9.9 or 15?? Please help!!

Looking at the Merc/Mariner parts here

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/mercruiser_parts.asp

I found your serial listed under the 15, but when looking at the parts that come up for the 15 the page indicates

6/8HP and 9.9/15HP

It does not list the numbers you have for the carbs but I know the difference in the motors IS the carbs airflow and main jet sizes.

Pull the main jet and look at the number, check the page and see if you jet is small med or large, that should be a pretty good indicator.

There are other web pages that you can look up serial #, I don't have those links saved.

Edit:
Just looked deeper into the parts pages of both sites and see that there is a difference in piston between the 9.9 and 15.

Davidsed

Cadet
Re: Is it a 9.9 or 15?? Please help!!

Thank you for the reply!! It has the manual pull choke knob (twist to increase/decrease idle) However, in a bag of parts taken off the motor, there is a choke solenoid (matched to picture in clymer manual). How did you find the exact model number? I've found many sites that gave serial ranges, telling me the approximate year, and that it might be a 6, 8, 9.9, or 15. I can't thank you enough for the info!! I have my main motor, a 9.9hp mercury serial 0C298526 with a lot of hours on her. The motor in question, the one I thought was an 8 hp, is almost pristine, and runs like a scalded dog!! Might explain the difference in carbs. I just sold an 88 merc 9.9 tiller, and it had the identical carb as my current 9.9. The mystery motor had a different throttle cam adjustment, although the same integral fuel pump design.