40 hp cooling question... plastic hose fitting

jpritch2

Cadet
After replacing impeller and housing, I was surprised that motor was still not pumping water.

Tracing the hose back from the telltell, it runs into a housing that is divided in half by a diaphram, one half has gas going through, back half is supposed to have water going through. Continuing to trace I came to plasting hose fitting on the end of hose that had melted.... water was pumping out of the hose where this fitting screws into. Where can I find one of these threaded fittings? 10mm x 1.00, I have searched the internet and locally to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
jack

jpritch2

Cadet
Re: 40 hp cooling question... plastic hose fitting

After replacing impeller and housing, I was surprised that motor was still not pumping water.

Tracing the hose back from the telltell, it runs into a housing that is divided in half by a diaphram, one half has gas going through, back half is supposed to have water going through. Continuing to trace I came to plasting hose fitting on the end of hose that had melted.... water was pumping out of the hose where this fitting screws into. Where can I find one of these threaded fittings? 10mm x 1.00, I have searched the internet and locally to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
jack

This fitting screws into a hole way down low on the motor, left size, almost impossible to get. The other end of fitting goes to the hose, that goes to the weird half and half housing on other size of motor.

carholme

Rear Admiral

What is your engine s/n?

Gerry

jpritch2

Cadet

What is your engine s/n?

Gerry

Hi Gerry,
thanks for the interest!

the sn is 5899643.

the weird thing is , I have looked at the parts diagrams and cant find this part anywhere. I contacted a very large boat parts place in Florida and they had the same problem and could only find the same diagram. They said that maybe some one may have modified the motor.... but thats not possible as the boat was bought new and only one owner.

I could post a pic of the fitting and its location if you like.

Also, I notice there is a (service?) brass plug between the two plugs and when I take that off and shoot compressed air into it, air comes out the hole where this fitting goes and the lower unit as well.
Question - could i just come out of that service hole with a fitting and plug the lower, original hole? I'm pretty sure water would come out of it, but would its location allow sufficient/efficient cooling of the motor. It sure is easier to get to!

any advice would be greatly appreciate!
Jack

jpritch2

Cadet

thanks for the interest!

the sn is 5899643.

the weird thing is , I have looked at the parts diagrams and cant find this part anywhere. I contacted a very large boat parts place in Florida and they had the same problem and could only find the same diagram. They said that maybe some one may have modified the motor.... but thats not possible as the boat was bought new and only one owner.

Also, I notice there is a (service?) brass plug between the two spark plugs and when I take that off and shoot compressed air into it, air comes out the hole where this fitting goes and the lower unit as well.
Question - could i just come out of that service hole with a fitting and plug the lower, original hole? I'm pretty sure water would come out of it, but would its location allow sufficient/efficient cooling of the motor. It sure is easier to get to!

Jack

jpritch2

Cadet

What is your engine s/n?

Gerry

Hi Gerry,
thanks for the interest!

the sn is 5899643.

Also, I notice there is a (service?) brass plug between the two spark plugs and when I take that off and shoot compressed air into it, air comes out the hole where this fitting goes and the lower unit as well.

Jack

carholme

Rear Admiral

Jack:

Would help if you could post a picture of the fitting location and especially one of the component which you say has fuel on one side and water on the other?

Your s/n comes up as as a model:

1040550 MERCURY 1980 40

Parts listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/673.cfm

Is this the parts listing you were looking at?

Gerry

jpritch2

Cadet

Jack:

Would help if you could post a picture of the fitting location and especially one of the component which you say has fuel on one side and water on the other?

Your s/n comes up as as a model:

1040550 MERCURY 1980 40

Parts listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/673.cfm

Is this the parts listing you were looking at?

Gerry

yes, these are the diagrams I am looking at.
I will post pics soon.
thanks again.
jack

jpritch2

Cadet

Merc40Fitting.jpgMerc40Housing.jpgmerc40Waterhole.jpg

Gerry, hope these pics help. I have include the threaded water hole, which is on the passenger side of the motor. The plastic fitting threads into this hole and then attaches to a tube that goes around the bottom of the motor to the housing on the side. This housing is divided by a diaphram, water goes in the back half and then goes out a hose to the the telltell, the front half has fuel entering and then exiting to the carb.
The plastic threaded fitting is what I need. The one in the picture is the original , but I had to grind off a lot of the melted threads and now there are not enough good threads left to get it started in the hole pictured.
thanks for your help.
jack

jpritch2

Cadet

View attachment 146487View attachment 146488View attachment 146489

Gerry, hope these pics help. I have include the threaded water hole, which is on the passenger side of the motor. The plastic fitting threads into this hole and then attaches to a tube that goes around the bottom of the motor to the housing on the side. This housing is divided by a diaphram, water goes in the back half and then goes out a hose to the the telltell, the front half has fuel entering and then exiting to the carb.
The plastic threaded fitting is what I need. The one in the picture is the original , but I had to grind off a lot of the melted threads and now there are not enough good threads left to get it started in the hole pictured.
thanks for your help.
jack

btw - left picture = fitting, middle picture = housing, right picture = hole that water comes out of (very fast when motor is running, pump works good!)

carholme

Rear Admiral

Jack;

Did you see it in the parts listing I sent you as item 14 under FUEL PUMP AND FUEL LINE

If you click on item 14, you will see the picture of it.

Gerry

jpritch2

Cadet

Thanks FB!

thats it. I was just wondering why in the world is cooling water routed through the fuel pump? weird.

Is it to help pull the water up while starting the motor? Seems like the impeller would be more than enough.

jp

jpritch2

Cadet

Gerry,

yep. thats it! thanks for your help.
jack

jpritch2

Cadet

btw - I would have never thought to look (and didnt) under fuel parts for a part used for water cooling. Thanks Gerry and FB.
jp

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I was just wondering why in the world is cooling water routed through the fuel pump? weird.
That is a water cooled fuel pump to cool fuel to help prevent vapor lock at trolling and slow speeds....

jpritch2

Cadet

ohhhhh. thanks for the info Fazt!

ok, got the elusive part.... but I have problem.. I can't get it started into the threads.. there is no room to get my hand in there. I have tried a universal style adapter as well as a rubber hose, but just can't get to it.

I have an idea though, ... between the two spark plug holes there is a brass plug, I used this hole to blow compressed air though, to clear all of the broken impeller debris. Lots of air bubbles came up when I did this, so I am assuming that this port links to the water system.

Question - could I just come out of this port and plug the hole the fitting goes into?? would this sufficiently cool this motor.
OR
do you know a way I could get easy access to the hole that the fitting goes into. It looks like you have to pull the head to accomplish as the lower cowling looks it just stays in place.

Thanks for any help you can throw my way!

Jack

jpritch2

Cadet

0k, disregard previous question. I finally got everything back together, water is flowing fine out of the telltell, but now there is water coming our around the top spark plug. The water is not in the cylinder , as the spark plug is dry. It looks like there is a plate on top and around the two plugs, is there a gastket under there that I need to replace. I am not finding on any of the diagrams here:
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...+AND+FUEL+LINE

If you can find it , please let me know.
Thanks!
Jack