1974 mercury 85hp where ar the idle screw on the carburetor

arthur1988

Cadet
im not sure where to look i took the boat out today and it seems like the idle is way to fast cause when i put it in gear it kickes into gear kinda hard also when i try and just full throttle it it seems like it want to bog down any help would be great

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1974 mercury 85hp where ar the idle screw on the carburetor

I presume that you got your control box fixed as you did not respond to our last discussion.

Hard to verify the year without a s/n but if as you say, it is a '74, here is the parts listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/461.cfm

See item 31 under Carburetor.

Unless you have been doing some recent maintenance on the carbs, they usually don't just wander in and out of idle adjustment. If it were my engine, I would be looking at getting both carbs well cleaned and serviced to get back to a starting point.

Gerry

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

What you want is to adjust the idle stop, or throttle control cable. ince you were messing with the control, Let's adjust the throtle cable first. Remove the wrap cowling. On the port side of the motor near the front is a plastic clamp that holds the barrel nut for the control cables. Unhook and move the clamp in, up and out to release it. Now push the throttle closed with the cable. If it moves a bit, adjust the barrel nut to hold it there. Retest idle speed.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Idle stop is the adjustment that controls your idle speed. On a distributor ign motor it is a set screw on the plate above the distributor body. On an ADI ignition motor, it is the set screw just above where the throttle cable attaches to the throttle arm. It holds the carbs open a bit.