2003 25hp Mercury fuel/water mi leaking from cylinder cover and/or exhaust manifold

scbasschaser

Seaman Apprentice
I have had this unwanted problem for a while with this mix of fuel/water leaking from a gasket and building the bottom of the cowl. Lately the fuel smell is getting stronger. I usually clean it out and keep going after each use. After a trip to the parts store with an exhaust manifold cover (2 gaskets) and a two o-rings around the cylindar cover, Im ready to undo the bolts. I found one of the M5X16 bolts gone from one of the lower cylindar over which should be my problem. What is proper way to replace the gasket, o-rings, and bolts...thin coat of grease on gaskets? I think that the covers might need come loc-tight with all the gas, oil and heat in there should keep the bolts from backing out. is this a bad idea? THis is my first replacement of these parts. Thanks for any help on what not to do. Once I have exhaust cover, what should I do to clean the covers and motor? Lowe's has a version of the missing bolt but not SS. Is that a must?

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 2003 25hp Mercury fuel/water mi leaking from cylinder cover and/or exhaust manifo

Post your serial# for better advice.
Always go for SS Marine grade.