2004 Mercury 2 stroke 4 cylinder 115 will not stay started? Please advise?

jlparker2237

Recruit
I was fishing with my daughter last Saturday and moving to a different spot. We were traveling only about 10 to 15 mph according to the speedometer when the engine died. I struggled to re-start the engine, acted like it was running rich and would just die. I tried for a long time and had to use the trolling motor to limp back to the dock.

I have changed the spark plugs, rebuilt the fuel pump, checked the gas for water and checked the lines for collaspe and nothing seems to work. The hand primer seems to be working (gets hard and full of gas) but the boat will not stay started. Seems to run for about 10 seconds and shuts off.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. My local boat service department is 3 weeks out on appointments and I just hate to miss that much fishing.

Thanks so much in advance.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 2004 Mercury 2 stroke 4 cylinder 115 will not stay started? Please advise?

Still sounds like the fuel pump. If it is running for a bit using the fuel you pumped into the carb from the squeezie and then dies, it seems that it is no longer getting fuel. If you can start it again, have someone ready on the primer bulb and start squeezing it as soon as it feels like it is going to die. If you can keep it running with the primer, you will have to revisit the fuel pump again. As well, make sure that fuel filter on the line coming into the pump is clean and that your tank vent is open.

Gerry

jlparker2237

Recruit
Re: 2004 Mercury 2 stroke 4 cylinder 115 will not stay started? Please advise?

Gerry,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I will try as you suggested.

Jeff