1976 Mercury 650

tallcanadian

Captain
Hi All. I just purchased a near immaculate tri hull with a '76 Merc 650 on it. I'm picking it up on the weekend. I've not heard this run but the owner tells me it likely needs a carb kit, which I expected. However, is there anything I should be aware of with this 3 cylinder outboard? Any know issues or concerns? It seems I remember something back in the day that one of the cylinders on these triple cylinders use to burn out..Any truth to this? Any help is would be much appreciated.

IMG_0206.JPG

tallcanadian

Captain
Re: 1976 Mercury 650

Okay, so it turns out that my outboard is broke. Two cylinders are putting out 110 lbs compression and it idles very rough. I'm told that I may have 2 cylinders scored. Now, what are my options? Scrap it, try to find parts? I need you Mercury guru's to give me some advice. All opinions will be appreciated.

tallcanadian

Captain

The three cylinders are 100, 110, 135. It idles rough. The previous owner told me that he would have to ease into the throttle to get it to run decent. I figured it needed a carb kit.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds to be tear down time to see just how bad the pistons and cylenders are before spending any $$$. Then you will have to make a choice, rebuild or scrap. Old mers .com on the net should have all the parts to rebuild it if not here on Iboats.
Best of Boating, Oldman570