Grease/oil leaking out of prop 2000 8hp merc

Mike82

Seaman Apprentice
I noticed today that there was a thick milky grease/oil coming out of the prop after it sat for a day in the down position. My first guess was lower unit oil, but it is thick. When I say thick the spot on the ground had a diameter 3in and was at least a 1/4in tall. Any ideas what this might be? Maybe after the big rain storms it washed some grease down there from up top, if that's even possible. Any ideas will be very much appreciated.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Grease/oil leaking out of prop 2000 8hp merc

The only thick oil is in the lower unit and is 90w viscosity. That won't pile up 1/4" high in a puddle. You didn't specify wether 2 or 4 stroke. Either way, the 2 stroke has like 20 wt oil in the gas and the 4 stroke about the same thing in the crankcase, neither of which will puddle that high. On the 2 stroke, oil in the exhaust can sometimes drip out after running but that is just combustion residue and won't puddle that high either.

You sure it's not coming from somewhere else. Sounds like grease to me on the height you mentioned, but grease won't puddle. Got me confused.

Mark

crazyhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

can you post a picture of it that might help us identify it

Mike82

Seaman Apprentice

can you post a picture of it that might help us identify it

A little update I let it sit for 24hrs and no more leaked out. So I then drained the lower unit which came out clean absolutely no milky or any metal shavings, also the fluid is bright green. I then took a closer look with a flashlight and noticed it was coming down the exhaust port on the bottom. So I then pulled the plugs and found both cylinder heads had a thin coating of it. I dont know if it's unburned oil it's dark tan colored. Prior to this I ran the motor for around 3 hrs at idle on a slow troll. The motor runs great right now real smooth idle, so don't know what to think. I washed what was on the ground off but I took some pictures I will try to post some later.