1978 Mercury 800 Stalling at High Throttle

sje0123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I currently have a 1978 Mercury 800 on my Starcraft SS. In the past I have had a hit or miss issue with the engine stalling at the point in the throttle where power increases. Forgive my ignorance, but midway thru the throttle range it seems to increase in power at almost a "click" on the throttle. That is the point I am stalling. I can idle around at low speed just fine with no issue at all. Once the throttle clicks past the midpoint it just dies. Sometimes, if I am quick enough I can throw it into WOT and have it catch and run it back from there but once below that midpoint I cannot go back.

If I am not explaining enough to understand let me know and I'll try giving more info.

I guess my first question is, what happens at that midpoint to increase output? It's almost like a "second gear" if that make sense. If I understood that I may be able to diagnose a little more. I'm very new to outboards and am learning on the fly here.

Could it just be the jets in the carbs clogged or should I start looking somewhere else? (Spark plugs, filter, etc.?) I'll check the plugs and such tomorrow morning. It scared my daughter today and I really don't want her not liking boats:redface:. The bonus was she reeled in her first Striper today :D.

Thanks Guys.